Favourite family holiday in Englandshire?

(24 Posts)
magentastardust Wed 17-Apr-13 12:04:34

We are probably not going abroad this summer but would still like to do something with the children , we are from North East Scotland but don't mind driving quite far south (although we wouldn't go quite as far as Cornwall)
Dc's are 2 , 6 and 9 so scenery , maybe beaches and days out that sort of thing -where would you recommend?
We will probably do a self cater cottage.

Gales Wed 17-Apr-13 12:08:44

Lake District every single time for me.

Lilymaid Wed 17-Apr-13 12:11:26

Englandshire?
How about Northumberland - great scenery and beaches (but perhaps not so different from NE Scotland?)

AuntieStella Wed 17-Apr-13 12:24:27

Norfolk

Isle of Wight, but realise that might be a bit too far. My DCs are 7 and 9, we've been there for the last three years and love it - beaches of every description, views, walks, castles, parks, beautiful countryside, all manner of museums and days out.

magentastardust Wed 17-Apr-13 13:06:08

Sorry England is always referred to as Englandshire in jest among my friends.
Hmmm I do quite fancy the sound of Northumberland -will have a proper google thank you.

My MIL (English) refers to Scottishland every time we go there, at first I didn't mind but now it really grates (I'm half English half Scottish).

gerbilsarefun Sun 21-Apr-13 11:36:50

We love Norfolk, definately our favourite county for a holiday. Any part of Norfolk really. And living in Yorkshire, our resorts are lovely too, Scarborough, Filey, Bridlington, as is the Lincolnshire resort of Mablethorpe.

kelda Sun 21-Apr-13 11:40:10

What about Walesshire smile? We are going to Snowdonia this year. Pembrokeshire is also stunning.

If you really want to go to England, then go to the Lake District.

scaevola Sun 21-Apr-13 12:09:56
5Foot5 Sun 21-Apr-13 18:19:24

I was also going to suggest North Yorkshire. Scarborough is lovely and so is Whitby and if you strike inland there is plenty of nice countryside.

DerbyNottsLeicsNightNanny Sun 21-Apr-13 18:31:57

Woolacombe in Devon, excellent family resort - small & not trashy. Beautiful beach, lots of stuff for the kids & also option to do some day trips from there if you want a change of scenesmile

evertonmint Sun 21-Apr-13 18:35:02

North Norfolk staying in Wells next the sea. Glorious beaches, lovely seaside town.

DewDr0p Sun 21-Apr-13 18:36:53

Pembrokeshire is gorgeous and relatively quiet even in school hols

Bunbaker Sun 21-Apr-13 20:25:48

Shropshire. A county that is so often overlooked but has so much to see and do.

We stayed in Much Wenlock three years ago and did:
Ironbridge
Blists Hill open air museum
Severn Valley railway
Ludlow and castle
West Midlands safari park
Kinver Edge
Benthal Hall
Wenlock Priory

We loved it.

wizzler Sun 21-Apr-13 20:27:41

Bamburgh... fabulous beaches and not too far from you.
Boat trips from Seahouses, and a day on Lindisfarne... perfect

specialsubject Wed 24-Apr-13 10:13:14

North Wales-shire? The coast round Harlech and Barmouth is STUNNING and there's lots of the stuff you want. Also a bit further up to Conwy and that area.

but possibly not as far as Rhyl. :-)

InSync Wed 24-Apr-13 10:21:01

Places I love for holidays:

Cornwall
Pembrokeshire
Alnwick / Seahouses
Whitby

MorrisZapp Wed 24-Apr-13 10:26:32

Fifeshire? St. Andrews is our fave holiday destination. If you have a golf mad DP then even better. Loads of sights, beach is great, unbelievable array of cafes, restaurants etc, superb charity shops in fact an amazing shopping scene for such a small place.

Also day trip distance from Edinburgh. We live in Edinburgh so it's great going on holiday a one hour drive away smile

eatyourveg Thu 25-Apr-13 20:49:20

Agree with specialsubject re north wales. Anywhere between Harlech and Criccieth is great. Spent my childhood here, have taken my dc back - no other place in the entire world comes anywhere close

buttonsforbreakfast Tue 30-Apr-13 20:23:29

Yep Snowdonia for me too - beautiful scenery, gorgeous coastline, plenty to do. Harlech, Barmouth, Tywyn, Aberdyffi...check out this place: http://www.kingarthurslabyrinth.co.uk totally mental, but strangely enjoyable!

buttonsforbreakfast Tue 30-Apr-13 20:24:02
serin Tue 30-Apr-13 23:08:57

Norfolkshire

usualsuspect Tue 30-Apr-13 23:12:56

Yorkshire. Whitby,Scarborough anywhere around there. Lovely beaches Filey beach is fantastic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now