Can anyone recommend a fabulous hotel in the UK?

(18 Posts)
juneau Sun 17-Feb-13 18:23:07

It's for my 40th birthday. It will be just DH and me. Not London please, as we live near London and go there all the time (and DH works there).

My ideal would be either somewhere like the Peak District, Lake District, etc, or in/near a beautiful cathedral city/spa town/etc. Must have a fabulous dining room and a spa and pool on site would be a bonus. We only have 3-4 days, so nowhere too remote please.

Any ideas gratefully received.

VBisme Sun 17-Feb-13 18:27:04

Fischers at Baslow Hall in the Peak District is lovely, and the restaurant is amazing. Unfortunately no spa.

Could you do Dublin? The Merrion is perfect for what you're after.

spanky2 Sun 17-Feb-13 18:31:55

The Royal Crescent Hotel in Bath . It has a spa fab garden and has an amazing level of service . It has spoiled all other hotels for me as it was so fantastic. It is in the center of th Royal Crescent in Bath's town center .

Wereonourway Sun 17-Feb-13 18:32:04

thecranleigh-hotel.guestcentric.net/m/hotel-sitemap.html
Absolutely stunning, fantastic staff and lovely location

FIFIBEBE Sun 17-Feb-13 18:34:18

Gleneagles. About an hour from Edinburgh airport. They will pick you up from the airport or Gleneagles train station. In 3 to 4 days you could sample all the restaurants.
http://www.gleneagles.com/

PoppadomPreach Sun 17-Feb-13 18:34:38

If you're prepared to travel....

www.threechimneys.co.uk/

Fab restaurant, amazing accommodation, scenery outstanding (isle of Skye)

notnowImreading Sun 17-Feb-13 18:38:13

Bailiffscourt at Climping in West Sussex is lovely - mediaeval style with beautiful grounds, lovely food and a fabulous spa.
www.hshotels.co.uk/bailiffscourt-hotel-and-spa

FriedSprout Sun 17-Feb-13 18:43:11

here

Deancourt Hotel, York. Step straight out of door into York inself. York has great museums, York Minster, non-chain shops and restaurants, no need to get in the car for whole weekend. Very good food at hotel too. So much to do in York that you won't have time for hotel facilities though.

mummymeister Sun 17-Feb-13 22:29:49

Bath is fab because you have the bath thermae spa and the pump room for afternoon tea. also like Barnsley house gloucs. definately the best place i have ever stayed

Follyfoot Sun 17-Feb-13 22:33:28

Rudding Park just outside Harrogate. Its won best hotel in the UK on Trip Advisor this year. Absolutely lovely and the service is wonderful. Its not all stuffy and formal like some top hotels though, its very friendly. Good food too.

juneau Mon 18-Feb-13 09:03:07

Oh dear, I want to go to all these places. They all look absolutely lovely!

preggersbycheggers Sat 23-Feb-13 13:46:33

Chewton glen in the new forest?

SunnyUpNorth Sat 02-Mar-13 10:41:04

Babblington house? Have a browse on Mr and Mrs Smith and you will be spoilt for choice. I'm jealous! Oh and Ockenden Manor in Kent is lovely, the spa is amazing. Plus wouldn't be too far to travel as its easy to get to from London on the train or driving.

Ps I have stayed at rudding park and it is lovely but I'm not sure it is special enough for a 40th weekend away.

SunnyUpNorth Sat 02-Mar-13 11:10:44

Or The Grove in Hertfordshire

Mum2Fergus Sat 02-Mar-13 19:16:47

The Fairmont, St Andrews

CaurnieBred Wed 06-Mar-13 12:42:55

Stayed in the Royal Crescent in Bath - it was lovely. We also went to Castle Coombe on the outskirts of Bath which was wonderful and in such a beautiful place, but doesn't have a spa.

5Foot5 Wed 06-Mar-13 23:10:36

The most fabulous place I can think of if budget allows is Le Manoir au Quat Saison. Went there for DHs 40th and also for mine. Not sure we could afford it these days but I am very glad to have been.

mummatotwo Thu 07-Mar-13 13:14:13

Stapleford Park for me everytime!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now