Is bedruthan worth all that money?

(16 Posts)
bunnybunyip Fri 01-Feb-13 14:11:32

After weeks of deliberating Bedruthan steps seems to tick most of our boxes for our summer holiday but it is just SO expensive. No mumsnet discount anymore (boo).
Someone help me make a decision!

bunnybunyip Fri 01-Feb-13 21:38:02

Bump!

No, we managed to clock up 4.5k in a week there for five of us. I don't think that it is, maybe off peak.

bunnybunyip Fri 01-Feb-13 21:41:52

We have been quoted 2400 including dbb (on their meal plan thing) and I thought that was a lot! Was that school hols or just extras?

SavoirFaire Fri 01-Feb-13 21:43:34

We went off peak. Still spent a lot (we are going abroad for a fortnight this year, for about the same price as a week at BedSteps). However, with two toddlers, honestly, it was worth every penny - we adored it. Did get an amazing weather week though, which certainly helped. Not so sure it would be the case with older children though. I asked them about the MN discount going and they said they would still be offering discounts, just in other ways. Perhaps ring reception and ask about this?

Have you l

It was in school holidays. We found it better value off peak with a toddler but once dcs were older (3 of them) it felt like a complete rip off. Queuing for high tea, queue for soft play, same variation on a theme every night for dinner and mediocre child care.
We didn't go back after that, I felt trapped with the sharp elbowed middle class that I was probably trying to escape from.

LaVitaBellissima Fri 01-Feb-13 21:50:15

Have you looked at the Polurrian or at the Sands?

bunnybunyip Fri 01-Feb-13 21:51:36

The decor is worrying me a bit looking at trio advisor. I know this is hardly the most important thing but we have stayed in some really nice hotels and this is still by far the most expensive; it looks a bit tired in some of the pics.

bunnybunyip Fri 01-Feb-13 21:52:50

The sands is booked up. Will check out polurrian, thanks

bunnybunyip Fri 01-Feb-13 22:06:12

Polurrian looks really nice (decor better!) is similar price, even further for us to drive though which is a concern.

LaVitaBellissima Fri 01-Feb-13 22:42:41

I am from Cornwall originally, not stayed at Polurrian but have heard good things.
Sands can look a bit tired in placed but it's great and cheaper than bed steps. Staff are nice, and the listening service is fab.

tilder Fri 01-Feb-13 22:47:34

The only bedruthan steps I know is the beach. Is amazing. Can be interesting on the steps down.

Loads of hotels, b&b, self catering, camping near there.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 01-Feb-13 22:50:23

We go off peak and love it. It is completely not about the decor, we come away after 3-4 nights feeling like we've had a month off.

olympicsrock Fri 01-Feb-13 22:54:56

We went in September. Brilliant value. I really liked the decor. Staff and childcare fab. Meal package was good value. Worth every penny for a couple with older baby or toddler it was just so relaxing and easy.

bacon Tue 05-Feb-13 22:59:19

We went 7 years ago!!! In Feb had a lovely time, loved the listening service. Only for 2 nights. At the time New dad couldnt appreciate it but we would now. Not sure if I could do a week and for the money absolutely no way!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now