Travelling with 9-year-old in London. Does she need a ticket?

(12 Posts)
brandnewnickname Sat 27-Oct-12 13:25:17

Am due to head for London this half-term for a short break. Looking at the information on the TfL website, as far as I can see my 9-year-old daughter travels free on both buses and Tube provided she is with me. I am planning to get an Oystercard for myself. Have I got this right about the free travel?? Where we live the kids haven't travelled free on public transport since they were 4, so I keep wondering whether I am missing something/ have misunderstood. Can my daughter travel without any form of ticket or pass at all provided she is with me?

OddBoots Sat 27-Oct-12 13:28:37

She can travel free but if she looks over 10 and you want to use the tube you are advised to buy an Oyster photocard. link

EmpressOfTheSevenScreams Sat 27-Oct-12 13:28:40

Yes.

11 year olds do need tickets though so if she looks older it might be worth taking proof of age.

suburbandream Sat 27-Oct-12 13:31:57

She can travel free on tubes and buses but not on trains within the zones, not sure on DLR but I think you have to pay for that.

brandnewnickname Sat 27-Oct-12 13:39:46

Thanks all. What do people do about getting their children through the barriers at tube stations? Is there always a member of staff there who can see that the child is under 11 and let her through?

EmpressOfTheSevenScreams Sat 27-Oct-12 13:48:08

Nowadays most tube stations have a double gate that you can walk through together. If not there will be a member of staff around, though you might need to wave or call to get their attention.

jimswifein1964 Sat 27-Oct-12 13:49:56

Or just get her to crawl through the suitcase flap grin

brandnewnickname Sat 27-Oct-12 13:50:50

Thank you.

brandnewnickname Sat 27-Oct-12 13:53:23

(Thank you was to Empress. I don't think my daughter would take kindly to being asked to crawl through the suitcase flap smile)

jimswifein1964 Sat 27-Oct-12 13:55:27

Thats what my kids do at the unmanned stations!

EmpressOfTheSevenScreams Sat 27-Oct-12 15:07:28

DD's done it in the past too!

lljkk Sun 04-Nov-12 19:40:16

We just walked thru the barriers with small DC immediately in front of us. Only problems were when DC hesitated so we hesitated then they rocketed off & we didn't make it with them after all.

Then you just sheepishly flag down staff & show them your ticket to get thru after all.

You shouldn't have trouble coordinating movement thru barriers with a 9yo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now