Roller skates for DD8

(6 Posts)
sqidsin Tue 01-Nov-16 13:18:01

Hi, DD would like a pair of roller skates for Christmas and I haven't a clue what to get! Which are the cool ones - the hard plastic ones or the lace-up style? And should I go for quads or in-line skates? She can (just about!) ice-skate if that helps.
Thanks

sqidsin Tue 01-Nov-16 20:24:57

Quick bump for the evening crowd...

Ktay Mon 05-Dec-16 11:40:27

bumping this as I have a similar quandary. Has anyone tried 'gliders'?

zazas Mon 05-Dec-16 23:11:51

Hi my DD received a pair for her 9th birthday earlier this year. After a recommendation we bought the - SFR STORM II ADJUSTABLE QUAD ROLLER SKATES - from Skate Hut. Went with these as they are designed to grow with the child so we knew we would get a few more years out of them a pair that is only one size. They also are pretty stable, roll well and seem to have been easy for her to 'master. The fact that they have flashing lights is just a bonus smile No idea if they are cool or not - but then my DD doesn't know either - the roller skate scene doesn't seem to be big up where we live although we now have local roller discos to go to!

Ktay Tue 06-Dec-16 17:37:13

Thank you, I'll check them out

Cagliostro Tue 06-Dec-16 17:54:06

At 8 I'd go straight for inline skates. DD had some for her 7th birthday and she took to them fairly quickly (and she isn't especially coordinated TBH grin). They are much closer to ice skating (she got straight on the ice and was away, having been blading for a while before). If when she's older and wants to do skate parks and the like, they'll need to be blades anyway rather than quads, so may as well get on with it now.

No Fear ones are generally available in Sports Direct and they're a good budget option, they were £20 I think. There's a nice brand available in the Entertainer which DS ended up with, can't remember the brand? Something to do with Star? Anyway they were £40ish so more pricey, they do seem sturdier mind you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now