Note: This topic is for discussing toys and games. If you want to buy or sell toys or games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Should I get dd a wooden or plastic play kitchen?

(20 Posts)
Belle15 Tue 17-Sep-13 20:46:58

What are the pros and cons of each? On a tight budget too around 60 quid if
Poss?
Any suggestions?

LegoAcupuncture Tue 17-Sep-13 20:50:09

Id go with a wooden one. Asda do one for £35 which is excellent, or Ikea do an amazing one for £65.

Asda one which they always reduce when their Christmas stock comes out

Ikea one

Belle15 Tue 17-Sep-13 20:57:48

Thank you, the ikea one
Looks lovely! The asda one too but it's showing as £70? Nice though.
Any reason in particular you would go wooden over plastic? I'm rubbish with stuff like this!! blush

MrsBungle Tue 17-Sep-13 20:59:41

We have the ikea one - it is marvellous. The little hob lights up. My two love it and it looks nice in the playroom.

girliefriend Tue 17-Sep-13 21:00:28

Wooden obv!! They look so much nicer!!

The Mulberry tree (or is it bush?!) do some lovely ones smile

girliefriend Tue 17-Sep-13 21:03:54

[http://www.mulberrybush.co.uk/toy-store/detail-honeybake-oven-and-hob-blue.aspx love this one]]

girliefriend Tue 17-Sep-13 21:04:38

grr fail this one

LegoAcupuncture Tue 17-Sep-13 21:05:56

The Ada one is always £70 until they bring it out for Christmas then they put it of a "half price saving".

I prefer wood to plastic as it looks better, lasts longer and washes easier.

Belle15 Tue 17-Sep-13 21:23:43

Brilliant, thanks ladies! May take a trip to ikea this week. Can divide appliances and food up between other people then too as they are reasonably priced smile

goldengirls Fri 03-Jan-14 20:01:49

One of the best ranges of children'splay kitchen toys that I have seen are at wooden-toys-direct.co.uk the range seems to change also sometimes they have loads other times hardly any at all so might be seasonal lot of Kidkraft plum john crane tidlo ones

Ikea! ive got one (well, dd) and it is beautiful.and looks good in my living room.

IKEA also do little battery operated stick on lights, so ive put one inside the glass door so it can look like the oven is on, and a row of three under the upper part of the play kitchen as it can seem a little dark.

BeanoNoir Fri 03-Jan-14 20:05:09

You can buy the bottom bit of the ikea separately for £45, then add the top bit (microwave and hooks) later for £20. This could help you to split the cost more. Dd got it for Christmas and she loves it, I like that it looks good in our kitchen too.

For good, cheap playfood,Wilkos do wooden "cutting" food - fruit and veg, sandwiches and birthday cake.

BeanoNoir Fri 03-Jan-14 20:06:05

mynameis could you do a link to those lights please?

SlinkyB Fri 03-Jan-14 20:15:54

We've got the Ikea one and it's brilliant - nice size for storing all the associated paraphernalia too.

I got ds the lovely little metal pans from there too, but they're flipping noisy! Wooden utensils and play food much quieter.

Just don't be annoyed if well-meaning relatives buy your child nasty, cheap tacky plastic stuff to go with it grin it ruins the look, really it does!

stick.on lights easier to find an ebay link than on the ikea sote but we only got ours a few weeks back so will be in stock. Bought them individually, think about £1.50 each

oh and we got white.

BeanoNoir Sat 04-Jan-14 01:18:48

Thank you thanks

kidzownit Sun 19-Jan-14 11:31:02

Have you tried Melissa and Doug one? it's here www.kidzownit.com/melissa-and-doug-cooks-corner-wooden-play-kitchen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now