Dc scarred by John Lewis toy - warning

(36 Posts)
ProphetOfDoom Fri 09-Aug-13 10:53:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Manchesterhistorygirl Fri 09-Aug-13 10:54:27

I broke my arm falling off a bed. Accidents happen.

hufflebottom Fri 09-Aug-13 10:56:35

accidents happen, but if you're that worried just pop into jl and mention it. could be a design fault and other people have had the same issue.

ProphetOfDoom Fri 09-Aug-13 10:59:56

MortifiedAdams Fri 09-Aug-13 11:00:42

My dd ran into a door. The edge of the door is rather pointy and made of hard, unforgiving wood. The reviews on Homebase for said door were great, and for the price I had thought it would be good quality but alas!

Sue the bastards!

I think I'm with the accidents happen camp unless the adjuster is sharp enough to cut you just by touching it.

You would struggle tp make bikes and scooters risk free if you come off at speed.

It really depends how bad the adjuster is.

ProphetOfDoom Fri 09-Aug-13 11:01:54

Hulababy Fri 09-Aug-13 11:05:14

Is the Maxi Micro Scooter actually made by John Lewis?
If not, you'd be better dealing with the manufacturer surely?

Hulababy Fri 09-Aug-13 11:07:21

Are these the manufacturer?
www.micro-scooters.co.uk/safety_info.php

youarewinning Fri 09-Aug-13 11:12:18

My DS managed to actually go directly over the handlebars on his bike yesterday - the bike even went arse over tit with him.

I said - use the back one first then the front - "oh" said he "I thought it was the other way round"

Clearly the design fault here is DS grin

Contact JL or manufacturer.

ProphetOfDoom Fri 09-Aug-13 11:17:08

LemonPeculiarJones Fri 09-Aug-13 11:19:35

Sounds like the design needs to be improved.

Presumably the posters who think you're making a fuss wouldn't mind if their kids got a nasty infected wound. Character building, right? hmm

hufflebottom Fri 09-Aug-13 11:21:33

call jl customer services, you can always ask for a number or e-mail for maxi scooter

Kids who fall off scooters will sometimes hurt themselves. Toys for anybody other than babies have sharp edges. Put the two together and you get sometimes nasty wounds. That's a risk of having active kids but it's outweighed by the benefits. By all means complain OP but I suspect the manufacturer will think you've missed the point.

Rooners Fri 09-Aug-13 11:25:04

Oh we had a crib from JL last year - second hand so couldn't take it back.

The bottom of it kept falling out.

I posted on here and everyone said, what are you gonna do? Sue them?

It was awful - I wished I hadn't bothered. JL were the same really, they gave me a reference number but they still sell the sodding things despite my problem not being unique (a few people also had the same issue)

I'd give up trying to do the right thing IIWY, for some reason people don't like it
But hope your son is better soon

Amumincognito Fri 09-Aug-13 11:25:27

Sorry to hear about your dc's injury.

That really is not a John Lewis toy and so I think your title is a little unfair. I'd call MicroScooter rather than JL if it is a design issue.

Lanceolate Fri 09-Aug-13 11:27:52

I'm sorry your DS had such a nasty accident. I hope he's feeling better now.

As it's a toy sold by John Lewis, not made by them, I would contact the manufacturer. Calling it a John Lewis toy is like calling a Kindle bought from there a 'John Lewis E reader.'

ProphetOfDoom Fri 09-Aug-13 11:31:17

Rooners Fri 09-Aug-13 11:32:33

It depends what she wants.

If it's just to warn other people (like I was trying to do) then posting here is fine, and maybe contacting the manufacturer.

If she wants to return it her contract was with JL so it's their issue to resolve.

TinyTear Fri 09-Aug-13 11:38:07

It's not John Lewis and it's not a toy... is a bike a toy?

HoneyDragon Fri 09-Aug-13 11:38:18

Tbf it might be worth contacting Micro Scooter, if its this bit I think you mean than the odds of catching it at force appear pretty slim.

However, now it has happened I'm sure they like to see the wound, and speak to their safety bods.

They'll be pleased you've contacted them.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 09-Aug-13 11:39:52

It's worth an email to the manufacturer, maybe there was a faulty batch or something, but it's not a John Lewis toy or a John Lewis issue.

Rooners Fri 09-Aug-13 11:43:41

But why is the OP getting such short shrift on here? I don't understand the attitude. She was just trying to do us a favour.

JaquelineHyde Fri 09-Aug-13 12:00:05

This has nothing to do with John Lewis, it's a manufacturing issue.

Of course the manufacturer is not going to do anything about it now because you have rather stupidly allowed someone to 'modify' the scooter before you have asked them to address the issue. They would have wanted to see the scooter (along with pictures of the injury) so they could investigate what and why it had happened.

Now all you will get is a frilly reply to try and make you feel better but will result in bugger all happening.

Rooners Fri 09-Aug-13 12:04:23

Jesus hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now