construction building sets for primary age children

(9 Posts)
johnJeffreys Wed 03-Jul-13 13:56:04

Lego Lego Lego Lego!

Ebay can be a good source. Also jumble sales. It's not cheap but it's a wonderful long lasting toy. My children are still using the lego that my mother bought second hand for me in the 70s!

Also if children play we lego, construction toys it actually helps with their fine motor skills.

We have Duplo and Lego we also have gears,gears,gears which they love.

LIZS Sat 01-Jun-13 18:24:11

how have they got to 6 & 9 with no Lego! Just get a large box of bricks and watch, completely different skills set to on pc.

fuzzpig Sat 01-Jun-13 18:20:59

Noooo you can't not get real construction toys just because they can do it on a computer! Totally different skills. There is something very valuable in the fact you are handling the objects and putting them together.

Lego should be mandatory grin

Francism Sat 01-Jun-13 16:28:02

Hi. For me, a construction set is any set of things that could be joined together like lego, meccano, building blocks, But this type of toy means children have to think and move around things to put them together - they make something like a house and then they could pull it apart and make something else. I'm not sure whether to buy a kit or to buy a programme on the computer. Maybe it doesn't make any difference??

YoniBottsBumgina Sat 01-Jun-13 16:16:29

I don't see why they can't have both anyway - totally different skills involved with building stuff in RL vs building stuff on a computer.

fuzzpig Sat 01-Jun-13 16:16:13

Not really sure what you mean by construction sets - do you mean like Lego? Or Meccano or K'nex type stuff? Or actual wood/nails type thing?

Can you link to the expensive one you mentioned? (I have no advice, I'm just curious smile)

YoniBottsBumgina Sat 01-Jun-13 16:15:46

Do you mean like k'nex, lego etc or something different?

Francism Sat 01-Jun-13 16:05:07

I used to spend many hours as a child playing with a constuction set to build houses and am keen to give my children aged 6 and 9 a constuction building set but they are not cheap. is it worth getting one of these kits or is everything now all on the computer?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now