Note: This topic is for discussing toys and games. If you want to buy or sell toys or games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Confused! Balance bike or scooter for 2 year old?!

(21 Posts)
chonga Fri 27-Sep-13 11:56:58

I would definitely say balance bikes. I just bought one for my son from www.totswheels.co.uk but make sure you buy a safety helmet.

YoniBottsBumgina Tue 28-May-13 10:44:07

Would probably be difficult for her to balance on a 2 wheeled scooter at 2, yes, but you can get 3 wheeled ones which is what most of the DC at DS' nursery seem to have. He was almost 4 when we got his so I just went straight to a 2 wheel. I got a £10 argos one but TBH it's been amazing - he really chucks it about and makes the most of it and it's lasted almost a year and is still going strong. The only thing is it isn't adjustable so he will probably grow out of it in another year or two, but for £10 it's really not bad at all.

DewDr0p Tue 28-May-13 09:38:04

Zoo taking the pedals off is what our local learn to ride scheme does with the children.

Look at the Mini Micro scooter - they don't have to balance it as such as it has 3 wheels although they do need to learn to lean to turn it! It's by far the best scooter for young kids imho.

Zoogeek Sun 26-May-13 07:49:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

3MonthMaid Sun 26-May-13 07:45:06

Both are great, but as a "mode of transport" definitely a mini micro.

You can pull it along as soon as the child is proficient. Balance bike fabulous for learning to ride etc, but def not something to use to get around.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 25-May-13 15:00:19

I'd say a scooter now and a balance bike when she's 3.

Mini micro scooter can be used easily from 2 ime. You can buy a seat for them if you think she needs it. They're light so easy enough to put on the pram and carry when she get's tired. My 22 month old is just getting the hang of a mini micro, I think he'll be whizzing along by 2yo.

Balance bikes do work. We've got one of those too, but they didn't really use it until a bit older though. Used it for 6 months and then straight onto a bike with no stabilisers. The younger ones who had the balance bike were without stabilisers much quicker than the older ones who never had a balance bike. They only need it for such a sort time, it's maybe worth borrowing one for a few months rather than buying. I don't think you need to spend anywhere near £100 on one. I'd also check the height of it. The 22 month old is nowhere near tall enough to ride our balance bike yet (although he is quite short).

gybegirl Sat 25-May-13 14:56:48

Got a joey cruiser balance bike. It has a brake and a handle for carrying it (which we only used a handful of times)

gybegirl Sat 25-May-13 14:55:07

Balance bike. My DDs LOVED them. Youngest still plays on hers at 5. Goes like a demon! Also at 4 years old she went from balance bike to pedal bike no stabilisers very first attempt no problem!

Locketjuice Sat 25-May-13 14:49:54

Could you not get a second hand balance bike from eBay Gumtree etc and then the scooter for birthday so they have the option and your not paying the earth for it?

YoniBottsBumgina Sat 25-May-13 14:37:50

Scooter. Less of a pain to carry when they get bored.

NaturalBaby Sat 25-May-13 14:31:59

We got both - one at Christmas and one for the birthday. I've got a carry strap and have my 3yr old's balance bike attached to the buggy so I can pull him up hills and make sure he doesn't end up in the road. It's taken him a long time to get the hang of the balance bike!

MousyMouse Sat 25-May-13 14:26:51

that's another reason why balance bikes are great. they can sit on them when they get tired.
tbh, I see a lot of parents carrying scooters, but have never seen one carrying a bike!

SoThisisMe Sat 25-May-13 13:49:58

I'm currently thinking of one of these www.balancebike.co.uk/balance-bikes-for-kids.php?bikes for DS who will be 3 in August. Should last a couple of years then hopefully can go straight to a normal bike without stabilisers.

He got a 3 wheel Thomas scootor when he was 2. He loves it now and is getting pretty fast, but to be honest last summer he just couldn't manage it and spent half the time dragging it along behind him.

That said, if you are walking to the park with a newborn, I'd go for a foldable scooter so it won't matter if she gets tired, you can just sling it under the pram!

DewDr0p Sat 25-May-13 13:24:53

My dcs never liked the balance bike but I've never met a child who didn't love the Mini Micro scooter

smable Sat 25-May-13 13:22:31

Ds1had a balance bike for his 2nd birthday and to be honest he wasn't that interested until he was 3 when it became his favourite toy ever, mini micro is fantastic well worth the money.

MousyMouse Sat 25-May-13 13:14:52

zoo they sit on the saddle and propel themselves forward with their feet.
at the beginning it's more like walking sitting down, but after a short while they are able to lift their feet and go wheeee at a good speed.

PoppyWearer Sat 25-May-13 06:50:35

If it helps, Kiddimoto sometimes have 50% off deals and we got a lovely balance bike from them for £60.

I found a cheap-but-functional scooter on Amazon for £15.

These are for my 2yo, we will then probably let him have a Mini Micro Scooter for his 3rd birthday.

Or look on eBay. The Little Tikes Sit N Scoot is supposed to be good and I just missed one of those on eBay for £15.

Get both. grin

Zoogeek Sat 25-May-13 06:31:28

MousyMouse Fri 24-May-13 19:13:34

depends on what you want to do with it. if daily commute/walks then balance bike. if occassional use scooter. booth are good for balance.
scooters are bad for the back (due to dc tending to use only one leg for pushing, the other for standing) if used a lot.

pootlebug Fri 24-May-13 19:06:06

They teach different things, I think. At nearly 2 I'd go for a mini micro scooter. you could always do bike at Christmas - most kids I know have done better on bike at 2.5+ although a few do get it at 2

The strider balance bike is nice and light and much less than £100 iirc. But

Zoogeek Fri 24-May-13 19:01:48

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now