Balance bike or micro scooter for third birthday?

(50 Posts)
Fuckwittery Wed 17-Apr-13 15:20:34

Dd2 has a scooter, but its a bit of a crappy one from tescos and I know the micro scooters are brilliant. Dd1 had one for her third birthday and scooted everywhere for the next 2 years until it was stolen! I think because I've spent the £ on them before, and we have a scooter, just not a v good one, I'm reluctant to buy again!

I've also seen a deal for a this balance bike half price which would make it the same price as the scooter. I'd quite like to try her out on it, she's not as balanced as dd1 was at this age and I think she would get on better with a balance bike than scooter. However I remember the scooter handily hooked over the pram (annoying but doable) when walking, whereas there's no way I could push a pram and carry a balance bike, and hold dd2s hand where necessary. Baby not due til end October though, so I would get the summer use out of the balance bike and then we'd probably do more school runs in the car (dh post section, and in the cold months) so it would be less of an issue. What to do! What does your 3 year old prefer?

Fuckwittery Wed 17-Apr-13 20:35:43

bumping smile

girliefriend Wed 17-Apr-13 20:39:12

My dd got a princess scooter from argos for her 3rd birthday and adored it, rode it everywhere. Because it was a 3 wheeler it was very stable.

I wouldn't get a balance bike, would make more sense to get a nice normal bike with stabilisers and then that will last a few years.

Not sure if that will help or not - sorry!!

IroningBoredDaily Wed 17-Apr-13 20:42:21

I'm pretty sure my dcs had proper bikes when they were 3. Is that an option?

Wisteria36 Wed 17-Apr-13 20:43:32

Different perspective here - ds got a balance bike at 2.5 and at 3.5 could ride a pedal bike without stabilisers, so was definitely worth doing. But it's true the balance bike maybe won't last so long as a scooter. Second hand balance bike maybe? We've never had scooters though, no experience there.

racmun Wed 17-Apr-13 20:45:40

My son has both and the scooter is his favourite.

Fuckwittery Wed 17-Apr-13 20:45:59

Proper bike! hadn't thought of that. I could probably give her DD1's old one if I lowered the saddle so it's not really something I need to buy, but I found with DD1 it was irritating with her riding with stablisers, she kept over balancing and found the bike very heavy. I think she got that bike when she was 4, and she didn't really enjoy riding it until the stablisers came off. Might just have been a crap bike though, too heavy, can anyone recommend a good starter bike?

Wallace Wed 17-Apr-13 21:08:10

If you do go for a balance bike, a Puky Is very lightweight and easy to sling over pushchair handles.

Fuckwittery Wed 17-Apr-13 21:17:23

thanks Wallace, i really like the look of the Puky bike, and good price too. I can see that balance bikes have a short shelf life, but hopefully I'll be able to pass onto DC3.

Dededum Wed 17-Apr-13 21:19:38

Or good second hand value for quality/useful kids stuff

Dededum Wed 17-Apr-13 21:20:58

Where are you? We have a blue micro scooter which DS2 has long since out grown. You can have it if you can collect. We are in Guildford

Fuckwittery Wed 17-Apr-13 21:40:03

That's very kind Dededum, we are Herts so a bit far away but thanks so much for the offer. I should have a look at second hand, we could end up getting both! Disappointed in the cheaper one I got from Tescos, if I can get a good second hand Micro scooter will give that one to charity/

macreturnofthe Wed 17-Apr-13 22:07:12

get a balance bike and the whole teaching them to ride a bike thing is done, no more running after holding the saddle while the wobble off down the road. Balance bike for a while and then upgrade to bike with pedals and no stabilizers will be needed!! they are awesome.

Habbibu Wed 17-Apr-13 22:10:33

Balance bikes have decent resale value if you get one that's popular, which I think pukys are. Ours have loved them, and get pretty fast quickly.

Mudwiggle Fri 19-Apr-13 22:12:43

I found this thread because I am looking for a buggy board alternative, when you don't have a buggy IYSWIM. DS2 is 2.5 and hardly ever wants to sit in the buggy, he only wants to walk. However if we go buggyless that usually results in me carrying him at some point. (We walk alot and no car as we are in London).

In general do you think a scooter or a balance bike would be best?

Dededum - if you still have your scooter available, I would happily jump on the train this weekend and give it a go....?

Wallace Sat 20-Apr-13 07:06:30

I'd say balance bike . You probably will sometimes end up with ds on your shoulders, balance bike in one hand shopping in the other...

You can get a carry strap for the Puky.

Mudwiggle Sun 21-Apr-13 11:35:16

thank you. off to Google puky strap, sounds perfect.

lljkk Sun 21-Apr-13 11:58:16

get a balance bike and the whole teaching them to ride a bike thing is done, no more running after holding the saddle while the wobble off down the road.

Didn't work like that for us. Only DC who had a balance bike was slower to learn to ride without stabs for it, I'm convinced. My kids tend to be small for age, though, which makes the balance bike useful for longer. Don't think DS will be big enough for a Cnoc 16 until he's at least 5.5yo I reckon. About the same as the others.

I like the Union jack bike, OP. I'd be quite tempted. Check the weight. If it's light enough you can balance across pram while pushing.

Wallace Sun 21-Apr-13 16:08:06

lljkk - you are right it does depend on the child. I did an unscientific survey on MN and balance bike doesn't always mean early to ride a bike. I also know kids that love their balance bike so much that they find a pedal bike really boring and cumbersome and just can't be bothered!

blondebubble Sun 21-Apr-13 16:13:40

Tbh - I would get both as in our family they had different functions.

Scooter is used as quick mode of transport, going to shops and nursery. Bike was more fun in the park. Mine got the bike before a scooter - bike definitely played second fiddle for a while as scooter was much easier.

Neither of my 2 has stabiliser and were cycling first day on a "big bike" one at 3.5yrs the other at 4yrs. Balance bikes are worth their weight in gold makes learning to cycle minimal effort.

So in an ideal world, have both.

Wallace Sun 21-Apr-13 17:05:18

In our house we use the balance bike for quick mode of transport, but don't have a scooter so can't compare.

Is it just me or does anyone else end up sprinting flat out behind the balance bike? We were out for the day yesterday and I ended up run ragged chasing after ds3.

idiot55 Sun 21-Apr-13 17:07:51

micro scooter, every time

but it does depend on individual child

Wallace Sun 21-Apr-13 17:10:14

A question about the micro scooter- the wheels are very small, does this make it harder going along rough ground, bumpy pavements, etc?

idiot55 Sun 21-Apr-13 18:37:55

I dont think the small wheels make it more difficult on rough ground, the micro brand seems to have wheels that have some sort of mechanism to go over any terrain ( im not explaining this well)

bascocally from my experience micro scooters are great, we have the one with the seat

Wallace Sun 21-Apr-13 20:04:49

Had to google the seat - never seen that before!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now