"You can never have too many jigsaws"

(24 Posts)

I read this on MN once, a poster said you can't have too many books or jigsaws. I kind of hope it's true - I like jigsaws myself.

Do you feel that jigsaws are this valuable as toys, that any amount of spending on them can be justified?!

And if you love jigsaws too - what great toddler ones do you know? We've just been given this. I was so impressed with it, the shape makes it very engaging to do, finish one animal and you can see the feet of the next one up. And the pictures are just a bit different.

jojane Fri 15-Feb-13 12:39:33

You CAN have too many jigsaws when they are all mixed up! We also have a box of 10 Pixar puzzles, nightmare sorting out the different puzzles, I put them all in bags but it didn't last long!

Panzee Fri 15-Feb-13 12:40:53

I hate jigsaws! There always seems to be a bit missing and they get all bent. sad

jojane the first time I tried to separate out our three Octonauts puzzles I thought I had to use the pictures to do it. I didn't realise that they have (subtly) different patterns on the backs of the bits. Does this help? (Not much if there are TEN puzzles, I imagine.)

I want to change my title to "Can your one year old do fifty piece puzzles?" That's the way to get jigsaw recommendations, not by asking politely.

Panzee Fri 15-Feb-13 22:20:04

You asked in the post, I replied.

No, I don't feel that jigsaws are that valuable. Especially as there always seems to be a bit missing and they get bent and torn.

Hulababy Fri 15-Feb-13 22:21:49

No jigsaw fans here either. DD never was overly interested in them; not something me or DH would ever consider doing either.

So - books - yes. Jigsaws - can live without.

drjohnsonscat Fri 15-Feb-13 22:22:46

I am violently opposed to those three in one jigsaws that require a parent to sort the bits out first. And jigsaw books.

All other jigsaws may be permitted to live but those mentioned above are a crime against parenthood.

Startail Fri 15-Feb-13 22:25:17

one jigsaw is too many, by definitional they come in lots of pieces.

It's always Mum who ends up finishing them and tidying up, while DDs sneak off back to the PC.

HSMMaCM Fri 15-Feb-13 22:25:55

We get out the same jigsaw every Christmas and the challenge is to get it finished before the end of the school holidays.

HSMMaCM Fri 15-Feb-13 22:26:25

Oh ... and we have thousands of books. we keep them in the local library.

Pascha Fri 15-Feb-13 22:27:10

I like the little wooden ones, about 16 pieces. DS can do these with minimal input from me and they don't get bent.

beanandspud Fri 15-Feb-13 22:27:45

I like jigsaws, as does DS, but once it's completed that's it. We don't tend to go back and do a jigsaw again so they are a bit of a 'disposable' toy which is quickly passed onto someone else/sold/regifted.

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Fri 15-Feb-13 22:29:34

I am violently opposed to those three in one jigsaws that require a parent to sort the bits out first. And jigsaw books.

Exactly

I will add 'character' puzzles where no consideration as to how anyone, let alone someone young enough to tolerate cinderella/lightening McQueen etc. will be able to find adjoining pieces due to copious amount of background.

LynetteScavo Fri 15-Feb-13 22:30:10

It depends on the person/child#

DC1 loved jigsaws, so we had quite a few. DC1 & 3 couldn't be bothered with jigsaws at all. So I guess we hard far too many for them.

I don't really see the point in jigsaws. I see them almost in the same light as word searches.

scrappydappydoo Fri 15-Feb-13 22:31:40

I think it depends on the child. DD1 was a bit meh over jigsaws and we had frequent tears when she couldn't do them. DD2 however was/is obsessed - found Orchard toys ones good to start with and then whatever was cheap in the charity shop.
And yes - do not get jigsaw books they are pita. The best ones are the multi ones that have different patterns on the back so you know which piece belongs to which puzzle without having to do the actual puzzle. I have actually resorted to doing this myself with a pen - just for my sanity.

I love jigsaws, we have about three billion, I hate how much storage space they take up though. I love the ones by Orchard Games. M&s do some good ones with lots of detail. Thomas puzzles have been a big favourite here too, ten in a box (grr...)

LookatMeeeeeee Fri 15-Feb-13 22:33:54

Jigsaws are great! I recommend Djeco as a brand, really gorgeous quality and chunky pieces.

I love jigsaws. very enjoyable way to spend an evening -- pre dd--

10 mo dd not fussed. but she will love them!

scrappydappydoo Fri 15-Feb-13 22:37:57

Oh yes - the M&S town ones are quite good as several fit together to make a bigger picture.

ithink it's a good point about how well 'made' the jigsaw is. I remember the first time I saw a kid doing a proper kid's puzzle, not just a picture cut into bits, and being so interested to see that every piece had a clue as to what the next piece was. That was Orchard, I think.

There is a jigsaw maker character in a George Perec novel called Life: A User's Manual who points out that for adults a well made puzzle might be cut so that there are not clues to the next piece!

For me as a grown up I think the appeal is in getting to know a picture really well and seeing what goes into it.

Am going to check out djeco and m and s jigsaws next

And I think the acclaim on educational value is clearly much less than for books!

steppemum Fri 15-Feb-13 23:57:56

We have been given lots of those jigsaw books. They are a nightmare, as you turn the page then all the pieces fall out.

Also 3 in a box puzzles - hopeless

Also all disney etc puzzles, they are too difficult as they are too fiddly, and the pictures are too similar in colour.

For toddler age I liked puzzles with good sized pieces, which were are different shapes. especially like floor puzzles as the pieces are big and don't get lost.
I think toddlers can move onto puzzles with more pieces much more quickly than we usually imagine if they are good puzzles. Large puzzles that have some pieces which are animal /boat/car shaped are nice too

As to 'you can never have enough jigsaws or books' Yes you can. When you have too many of anything they can no longer select as the shelf is too overwhelming. I have culled all our books and jigsaws, and the ones left are better used. Then we use the library for variation of books.

Bakingtins Thu 25-Apr-13 09:23:29

I know this is an old thread but wanted to recommend Orchard toys for jigsaws and games. They are very sturdy and have good pictures, usually as you describe that each piece has "a bit of the next animal" so they are easy to complete. We (2 yr old) particularly like big wheels, who's in the jungle? , big bus and Giant alphabet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now