Note: This topic is for discussing toys and games. If you want to buy or sell toys or games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Gah - what the heck to I get for DD's birthday (7yo)... she says she wants an iPad, but she doesn't really know what they are!

(13 Posts)
loomer Mon 07-Jan-13 11:19:50

Yes, I think we might have to make the trip to John Lewis - just means an after-work trek for late-night shopping as birthday is on Saturday and there's no JL stores nearby...

Hama beads definitely wouldn't be a suitable substitute - she was recently given a huge tub from one of her cousins who'd outgrown them... they did amuse her for half an hour, but didn't really capture her imagination and she's not looked at them since.

It's a PITA that her birthday runs on so quickly from the christmas toy-fest, but in previous years I've had something 'up-my-sleeve' for her birthday pressie.

neolara Mon 07-Jan-13 10:39:44

Why don't you get her something like hama beads instead. She'd probably love them as much as an ipad and they are a lot cheaper,

ChasingSquirrels Mon 07-Jan-13 10:37:30

Wouldn't John Lewis have stock to try?

loomer Mon 07-Jan-13 10:32:46

Yes it seems a bit mean to me that a birthday present should have to be educational - that is simply DH being a bit of an old fart... but I think realistically whatever we get would hopefully have a bit of fun AND some educational elements too!

I'm wary of giving her internet access, and I don't really want to spend much more than £150 so I am thinking DS Lite is the way to go. I've read some reviews of other kids tablets, but the general conclusion seems to be that the Innotab/Leapads are the best? I wish there was somewhere we could go to try them all out... went to Smyths at the weekend, and they only had two on display, one of which was out of stock, and the other had a flat battery hmm!

ChasingSquirrels Mon 07-Jan-13 08:47:05

DS2 is 7 in 3 weeks.
I imagine he would LOVE an ipad or similar, but suggesting it hasn't crossed his mind.
He did say he would like a DS for Christmas, and I had pondered on it for his birthday - but since DS1 got himself an ipod touch a few months ago DS2 just wants to use my phone (in preference to DS1's 3DS which he is now allowed to play on as DS1 barely uses it) so I don't think it would get the usage, and the games are so expensive compared to apps.
I have considered a cheap tablet, but have decided that I don't want him owning one at his age, I will stick to him borrowing my phone.
I have got him Lego, TKMaxx had a £62 Ninjago set (which he loves) reduced to £25.

fuzzpig Mon 07-Jan-13 08:29:11

Surely a birthday present doesn't need to be educational?

rubyrubyruby Mon 07-Jan-13 08:23:55

Get a DS (i or lite or whatever they are now)

TheJanuaryProject Mon 07-Jan-13 08:21:49

A friend's DD got a DS for her 7th birthday recently and she loves it!

VestaCurry Mon 07-Jan-13 02:45:09

iPod Touch?

MrsShrek3 Mon 07-Jan-13 02:42:13

my dd (seven a couple of weeks ago) also had a dsi. education can come in many forms wink even the seemingly frivolous moshi monsters needs memory skills and problem solving. dd has a mix of arty, moshi monster/pokemon type stuff and a few word game things. smile she also shares with her brothers, including brain training. the games aren't all hers btw grin

LoopsInHoops Mon 07-Jan-13 02:16:53

Budget?

Would any of these suit? kids tablets

loomer Sun 06-Jan-13 21:16:51

Plus there is no way we can afford an iPad at the moment... I had been toying with the idea of getting her a Leappad/Innotab thing, but having researched it further she seems to be at the top end of the age range for them. I'm now thinking maybe a Nintendo DS Lite, but DH is worried that it won't be educational enough. Any guidance very gratefully received, as we are a pretty ignorant household when it comes to computer gaming, and I'm also running out of time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now