Note: This topic is for discussing toys and games. If you want to buy or sell toys or games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Non sexist doll?

(12 Posts)
mamhaf Mon 05-Nov-12 15:54:31

Hello. I contribute to a charity appeal for Christmas presents.

The request I have had is for a doll for a pre-teen girl.

Does anyone have any recommendations for something that isn't Barbie or similar please? I.e a realistic-looking doll not a sexist stereotype? My dc are older and I'm out of touch with what's available.

Thanks

BlissfullyIgnorant Mon 05-Nov-12 16:08:35

Do they exist? I thought all dolls were miniature plastic tarts. My Scene seem to be marginally less slutty than Bratz, but only marginally. grin

mamhaf Mon 05-Nov-12 16:44:38

Please someone tell me they do exist! Otherwise I will have a horrible dilemma between altruism and selling out my principles.

colditz Mon 05-Nov-12 16:50:00

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polly-Pocket-Y0972-Adventure-Helicopter/dp/B007ADIMRS/ref=sr_1_8?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1352134127&sr=1-8

It's a polly pocket adventure helicopter, yes it's pink but its the closest thing I could find. Which is effing sad, really.

colditz Mon 05-Nov-12 16:50:11
colditz Mon 05-Nov-12 16:52:29

t.toysrus.com/skava/static/product.html?type=TRU_product_us&url=%2Fproduct%2Findex.jsp%3FproductId%3D12704753&domain=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.toysrus.com

Another adventure doll, quit good as flat shoes and practical clothing, but maybe a bit too young

colditz Mon 05-Nov-12 16:57:34

Are you sure she doesn't want a baby doll?

Or [cringe] she might just desperately want a Barbie....

mamhaf Tue 06-Nov-12 08:13:39

I've contacted the charity for more info.

From what I know, she wants something that would be suitable for a younger child (she has special needs), so yes, it may be a baby doll.

Thanks for your ideas here.

SavoyCabbage Tue 06-Nov-12 08:18:16

You could look at the Baby Stella range. You can get them on Amazon and there are baby dolls and older looking dolls.

Or Lilydoll from Manhattan toys. There are lots of different ones of those too. They are not baby doll dolls.

SavoyCabbage Tue 06-Nov-12 08:22:31

Here is a lilydoll

It's an Australian website but you can get them in the uk.

PhyllisDoris Tue 06-Nov-12 08:25:11

What about a rag doll? More cuddly than a plastic doll, and not sexist, unless you count just being a girl or a boy as being sexist!

SissySparkles Sat 10-Nov-12 12:44:31

designafriend dolls from argos are lovely. They have soft bodies in the shape of a little girl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now