Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

remembering passwords-driving me mad

(33 Posts)
dontcrynow Fri 25-Nov-16 07:11:33

Every computer app needs a password everytime I want to use it and I spend ages going through the different ones I use until I end up going through the 'forget password' route. I tryto use the same password for everything even though its not recommended but I still have problems. Does anyone have a foolproof method ?

thecapitalsunited Fri 25-Nov-16 07:40:46

Get a password manager like LastPass. You only need to remember the password for that so it means you can have different ultra secure passwords for every account you have. Then if your details are ever hacked they only have the password for that one account and can't get in everything.

NapQueen Fri 25-Nov-16 07:45:05

Mines probably not that secure but for work I need lots of passwords so I pick a word and add a number after it. Each time I have to change it I just go up a number.

Home is much more secure but work I figure the above will do.

BakeOffBiscuits Fri 25-Nov-16 07:47:30

I have this problem.
thecapitals what happens if someone breaks into the password manager? They'll have ever single one if your passwords.

Quintessing Fri 25-Nov-16 07:52:36

I have a foolproof way that works for me.

I pick ONE keyword, such as for example Redshoe65 then this is added to everything, so for example:

NextRedshoe65
MNRedshoe65
HSBCRedschoe65
MSRedshoe65 (M&S)
JLRedshoe65 (John Lewis)

etc
(I forgot my log in credentials to lastpast, and they are not the easiest site to do a password reset.....)

BishopBrennansArse Fri 25-Nov-16 08:06:42

I've got a password keeper app.

dontcrynow Fri 25-Nov-16 08:37:36

I've just had a look at some of the password apps but my eyes glazed over -do they sync across different computers automatically and do they still work if you remove browsing history?
I think I might start by using the key word method, mentioned upthread, and change my passwords so they fit, but leave my passwords to my most important and confidential info (which I always remember anyway)

thecapitalsunited Fri 25-Nov-16 14:59:35

With LastPass the passwords are all encrypted. Your password is used on your device to generate a decryption key which doesn't get sent anywhere. LastPass never knows your password and only has your encrypted passwords which they obviously can't access. Even if they got hacked, no one would be able to access your passwords without a decryption key which only you can generate.

The weakest part of the equation is the master password. If you use a password manager then you absolutely must have a strong password that can't be guessed or brute forced. The way last pass generate your encryption key from the password also provides some protection against brute forcing. I assume other password managers are similar but I'm most familiar with LastPass as that's what I use.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 25-Nov-16 15:02:16

The problem with the keyword message above is the password is too short - could be brute forced, especially as uses real words. Plus once.one password has been for, it'll be pretty easy to figure out passworfd for the other sites.

BrieAndChilli Fri 25-Nov-16 15:02:20

I use keepass, DH works in IT and is fanatic about having gobbledygook passwords and not using the same one twice etc and this is the programme he uses so I am fairly confident it is the most secure.

80sWaistcoat Fri 25-Nov-16 15:16:06

So do lastpass and keepass syn across different devices?

thecapitalsunited Fri 25-Nov-16 15:39:55

I have LastPass on my laptop and on my phone. I assume Keepass is similar.

Herecomedanotherone Fri 25-Nov-16 19:01:11

I read recently that it's actually better to have a very strong password that you use for everything as you are less likely to forget it, whereas having lots of different ones means people are more tempted to use something that has 'meaning'for them rather than something random. It's the 'meaning ' that makes a password easier to hack.

Might be worth going with something really random ?

thecapitalsunited Fri 25-Nov-16 20:10:57

It's definitely not more secure to have just one password which you use for everything. You only need one site to store it in plain text (Tesco used to do this, I don't know if they still do)/with weak security and get hacked and all your accounts are gone.

lljkk Fri 25-Nov-16 20:59:31

I do something like Quintessing's system: a core word that is tweaked by a system that only I understand, for individual sites... plus I have a few odd ball individual ones that I only use on that site (like for MN!)... how does the app manager work when you use lots of different devices -- at work we aren't allowed to install own software, either.

SisyphusDad Fri 25-Nov-16 21:51:28

Lastpass.

Syncs across PCs, phones and tablets.
Generally very good at automatically filling in passwords on web sites.
Can also fill in passwords on mobile phone apps (Android at least).
Can store and autofill credit card details into web sites.
You can create secure notes.
You can make it even more secure than just a password.

Cheap. Free if you only use it for PCs, US$ 12 per year if you want to sync to mobile devices.

user0 Sat 26-Nov-16 02:24:13

Do the adding on the site name thing if you want a different password for each site. You can also try passphrases, they're more secure than typical passwords and often easier to remember if you use a sentence. 'myholidayisinmaui' instead of 'maui147' for example.

xkcd.com/936/

EBearhug Sat 26-Nov-16 02:48:12

Base your passwords on something you already remember, like song lyrics, then take the initial character from each word. So "Happy Birthday to you" might become "HB2u!" which has upper case, lower case, numeric and non-alphanumeric characters and isn't a recognisable word. It would be a strong password if it were longer.

Herecomedanotherone Sat 26-Nov-16 10:03:28

here

Explains the problem with frequent changes of password - can't find the original story I read but it was probably one BBC news site.

Redcrayons Sat 26-Nov-16 10:10:00

I use a similar method to quintessing, except use initials of a phrase rather than an actual word.

I also have a master list written in a notebook for sites that require multi level passwords. So the long password is written down, but my I know my PIN.

Roussette Sat 26-Nov-16 10:18:26

This is an interesting thread, I've often thought I need to get to grips with all my p/ws because at the moment I have them all on a document which is really not secure.

I want a password keeper but I really don't want auto-fill or anything like that. I just want a place I can keep all my passwords secure. On my previous laptop I had a secure area called something like Winkeeper. It was like a locked vault on my laptop and I used to keep the note of passwords in there.

lljkk Sat 26-Nov-16 10:27:45

spaces & odd punctuation characters are supposed to be good in a password, too, so redshoes' password on MN becomes
" Red[ Shoes \M " or whatever.

thecapitalsunited Sat 26-Nov-16 11:16:58

Herecomedanotherone, I would agree that changing passwords all the time is bad. But that article also talks about transforming passwords (using a root password and adjusting it when you have to change it) also being bad which is very similar to what people are saying they do only on different websites not for one service. The reason that's bad is because if just one of your old passwords is worked out then all your new ones can be brute forced reasonably easily.

JurassicFart Sat 26-Nov-16 13:10:40

I use a password keeper, "safeincloud". It's like a locked vault that stores all my passwords. It's changed my life! I'm still adding websites/logins as I go, there must be 20 so far, it's astounding I ever managed to remember any!

throckenholt Sat 26-Nov-16 15:21:47

random easy to remember words are supposed to be good.

something like car.banana.tree.penknife

if you system of similar passwords with some local site addition - eg MN, FB, TW tagged in there somewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now