Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

Children in Need BBC2 auctions - how do people pay so much??

(39 Posts)
blueistheonlycolourwefeel Tue 15-Nov-16 08:37:18

I think the auction prizes are amazing and I think this is a great way of raising money for Children in Need.
Every year I sit there listening to the amounts people bid and just think HOW? Do people just have this money lying around? I have a reasonably well paid job but I struggle to get to the end of the month with pay left.
Interested to know are these people all millionaires??
(I have NO malicious intentions and think these people are very generous, I just want to know HOW!!) smile

Roystonv Tue 15-Nov-16 08:41:03

I wonder too

WalrusGumboot Tue 15-Nov-16 12:52:43

Chris Evans referred to some of the bidders as 'well-heeled' earlier. hmm

Whoateallthecheese Tue 15-Nov-16 12:58:34

I was wondering exactly the same thing earlier too. The prizes go for such huge amounts, are there really that many people out there who can spend these sums at the drop of a hat? I'm not jealous

Whoateallthecheese Tue 15-Nov-16 13:00:04

sorry, should also add their generosity should be applauded.

MrsJayy Tue 15-Nov-16 13:02:20

Dh was ranting about this yesterday he has taken to radio 2 in his work van anyway he was saying how the eff can they afford 25k for a lunch it's effing lunch

MrsJayy Tue 15-Nov-16 13:05:03

I think he was gobsmacked that people have that type of money just lying around ora worlds away from the text a fiver thing isn't it

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 15-Nov-16 13:15:59

Some people obscenely wealthy and this is an ideal opportunity to show it to the world?

I'm sure I remember back in the olden days they had things that "ordinary" people could bid on.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 15-Nov-16 13:17:40

hould also add their generosity should be applauded.

I think not. This is a very attention seeking exercise, and they obviously want the plaudits. Far more generous to just give to charity without all the fanfare.

staveleymum Tue 15-Nov-16 13:30:17

I parent at my sons school bid and won something on one of these auctions. I think it was the dine a disco one . Yes, they have lots of money (family business sold) but they are some of the most down to earth people I know. They do not 'flash the cash' or post elaborate facebook pics of exotic holidays. They both work hard.

Chopstick17 Tue 15-Nov-16 14:10:58

I think it's a good way to target richer people who can afford to do this, yes they could give anonymously but if it encourages them to part with their cash then fine. BUT I don't really like listening to it because it makes me feel rubbish for texting in £5 or putting a £1 in a collection bucket. I suppose it's because these people are in the minority but the rest of us are in the majority and don't stand a cat in hells chance of enjoying any of those things that are up for auction. It's a bit in your face, thousands of us mere mortals have to sit and listen to the rich spend their money Mr Evans!!!!

Whoateallthecheese Tue 15-Nov-16 14:12:20

IMO, doesn't matter how you give to charity, fanfare or not. The amounts they are donating are very generous.

MrsJayy Tue 15-Nov-16 14:16:06

What was for auction today I need to judge the husband rant grin. Tbf it is generous but I would love a night in clarifies, it's no different to charity balls where the wealthy spend thousands on stuff and tatt

Chopstick17 Tue 15-Nov-16 14:16:18

They do go on about it on the Breakfast Show though, nothing like a good old gloat! hmm

MrsJayy Tue 15-Nov-16 14:16:58

Jeez claridges tut

Chopstick17 Tue 15-Nov-16 14:17:27

Yes but MrsJayy only the rich go to those balls. this is broadcast to the nation and only 2% of the audience can take part.

PerspicaciaTick Tue 15-Nov-16 14:20:45

TBH it puts me off donating to Children in Need. All the huge pledges and giant cheques and big donations. I can afford a fiver. By the time I've paid for my DCs' dress down days (plus rafflle and cake money), I have nothing left to give. I feel like I just can't do enough for my money to matter.

MrsJayy Tue 15-Nov-16 14:52:29

Very true chopstick

JellyBelli Tue 15-Nov-16 15:23:25

I dont understand why people feel ok about making massive donations to charity and get resentful about pying taxes to assist the very same children.

gallicgirl Tue 15-Nov-16 15:29:08

Does anyone know if charity donations are tax deductible?
grin

People get money from all kinds of places and have probably worked hard for it. Better it's given to charity than lining the pockets of a wealthy corporation.
I donate what I can afford to charities I like. I can't get worked up over the amounts other people donate. I'd rather save my ire for those creating the need for the charity in the first place.

WingMirrorSpider Tue 15-Nov-16 15:31:24

I turn it off when they do the auctions. We're really struggling to make ends meet at the moment and Christmas is looking pretty lean so hearing people paying £25k for stuff I'd love to do but will never get the opportunity does stick in the craw a bit.

Yes, it's very generous and a good cause so I do feel a bit mean. It would maybe be nice to have a raffle for some prizes e.g. Text in for a couple of quid to enter so people with a bit less cash have a chance.

ShowOfHands Tue 15-Nov-16 15:37:51

WingMirrorSpider, they do have a text in competition too. smile

I am permanently broke but don't mind listening to people who are not skint spending their money however they choose. In fact I like to hear of charity doing well. I'm employed by a charity and we're always desperate for funding.

Dropmealine Tue 15-Nov-16 15:46:05

I was wondering the same. Amazed at the amounts people can just pay for a day out. Abd chris keeps saying you need to pay more and up your bid etc. I actually don't like listening to it. Yes it's great they are rainsing money but it's excluding the majority of the audience who might like a go.

MrsJayy Tue 15-Nov-16 17:42:10

Dh was saying i his rant that its chris evans that annoyed him more than they bidders he said that Chris Evans is a right Prick about it.

DinosaursRoar Tue 15-Nov-16 19:10:34

It's a very efficient way to raise money - if one person pays £20k for something, you would need 4,000 people to be prepared to buy a raffle ticket at £5 a time in order to make the money that way - plus it would cost more to administer that. One person, one cheque, all straight forward.

The amounts seem silly, but then these are genuinely once in a lifetime experiences, we spent £20k on our wedding out of savings and both had "normal" jobs at the time, I know friends who went on round the world travel trips before settling down that cost £10k+, so perhaps put it in that category.

Some people will be super rich, some people who haven't got married and have children might easily have savings at the £30/40k level for a true once in a lifetime event, even if they aren't "well heeled" types!

The marathon one sounded amazing, included both London and New York marathons, stays in hotels, training camps run by Sally Gunnell throughout the year, if you were into that sort of thing, it really would be "money can't buy" normally, I can see a passionate runner emptying their "fun fund" for that one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now