Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

Emetophobia - please help.

(9 Posts)
MrsWildermac Thu 10-Nov-16 12:59:13

I'm sitting here sobbing having just waved my DD off to pre-school. She started in September but having suffered from the curse of emetophobia for as long as I can remember, I think every day she is going to bring home a vomiting bug. I thought it would get better and I would get used to her going, but as we approach the usual 'bug season', I can't see past it.

Treatment wise I've tried CBT, and Citalopram as well as Propanolol for when it's acute. I felt much better on Citalopram but don't feel that it is a reason to keep taking an antidepressant. I just wish there was an obvious cure.

If anyone has any advice, or can at least reassure me that it's unlikely that she will catch a bug every week, I'd be most grateful.

Hastalapasta Thu 10-Nov-16 13:11:56

She is unlikely to catch a bug evey weeksmile I have 3 children, they all had colds and tummy aches in the first few weeks of term but have survived since. Only the toddler actually threw up, and I had a towel on his bed as I learnt a long time ago that it makes clean up easier....

MrsWildermac Thu 10-Nov-16 13:14:23

pasta thank you. So you're saying that you've only had one actual vomiting incident with three children at nursery?!! She had a bout of colds (four in four weeks), but that doesn't bother me, just the constant thread of a vomiting bug...

Darthvadersmuuuum Thu 10-Nov-16 13:20:07

We have never had a vomiting bug in the UK (DCs 10 & 5). Colds, ear infections and grazed knees only. I don't think they're as common as you seem to fear OP 💐

MrsWildermac Thu 10-Nov-16 13:27:09

Thanks darth - think that a combination of lots of things lead me to think the worst - DD was seriously ill in hospital last year and had major surgery a few weeks ago so am probably overthinking it all.

NoSuchThingAsThePerfectParent Thu 10-Nov-16 13:27:13

If your dc is preschool age she'd have qualified for the rotavirus vaccine which should massively reduce that sort of thing.

NoSuchThingAsThePerfectParent Thu 10-Nov-16 13:28:19

Ps: drink a yakult a day, helps settle an upset stomach wink

user1471448556 Thu 10-Nov-16 13:35:23

I have the same fear. They definitely aren't as common as you fear, but I get similarly anxious at this time of year. My two did have them a couple of times whilst at nursery (they're now both at primary school). Luckily they tended to be short-lived and I was scrupulous with hand-washing and bleaching so they didn't tend to spread. I only caught something off them once and on that occasion it all came out the other end! I hear good things about grape juice killing noro, and lemon juice weakening noro. I find a glass of wine calms me down at this time of year ... and it's a form of grape juice, isn't it?

PopGoesTheWeaz Sat 12-Nov-16 00:18:39

Another one who has never had vomitting bug from school/nursery. I think you will be okay but also don't come off the Citalopram if it helps you - its still early days with your dd at nursery so give it a few months and you may feel more at ease. OR talk to your GP/therapist again? Maybe something for anxiety would help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now