Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

Parking Dispute - advice needed

(25 Posts)
PiazzaDelPoppolo Wed 21-Sep-16 13:00:05

I live on a busy main road. Nobody has a driveway and parks on the road outside the houses. Unfortunately there is a bus stop along the toad which takes up around 3 car lengths which impacts on the available parking. Therefore, often when I get home from work there are no parking spaces left on the road. There is a large side street a few yards away and sometimes I have to park there. I don't like doing this as I'd rather be closer to my house but if there is no room I don't have a choice.

A couple of months ago I parked on the side street and a neighbour left a note on my car telling me not to park there again as it was for residents only. There are no signs up anywhere that say 'residents only'. As far as I'm concerned it is legal to park there and this neighbour is just being territorial about the space outside their house.

I try not to park outside this particular house if possible, but sometimes this is the only available space. I've since had more notes left on my car. They've been abusive and they use a huge amount of sellotape all over the windscreen in order to cause annoyance and inconvenience.

I haven't had to park there for around 5 weeks but unfortunately I had to park there one night this week. I returned to my car to find 'FUCKING BITCH' written on it.

How would you handle this? Legally I'm not doing anything wrong and I'm trying to avoid parking there as much as possible. Do I report to the police? Confront in person?

TeaStory Wed 21-Sep-16 13:02:17

I'd talk to the police.

NerrSnerr Wed 21-Sep-16 13:03:13

I would speak to the police as the notes have been abusive.

Youarenotprepared Wed 21-Sep-16 13:05:22

Police is likely your only choice. You are a resident regardless as you live around the corner. I can't believe people are such inconsiderate assholes.

Youarenotprepared Wed 21-Sep-16 13:06:16

Did they damage your car btw or is the bitch written on a note? They are the assholes not you.

DesolateWaist Wed 21-Sep-16 13:08:43

That's dreadful.
Could you leave a sign on your car saying that you have every right to park there and the police have been informed.

PiazzaDelPoppolo Wed 21-Sep-16 13:11:26

It was a note. They haven't damaged the car. They just use a shed load of sellotape that it takes a while to get all the stickiness off with WD40. I thought reporting to the police might be an over reaction but I'll probably do that this afternoon. Thanks.

akkakk Wed 21-Sep-16 13:14:26

take photos - log it - report it - keep the paper and if necessary handle only with gloves and put into a plastic bag to preserve... (isn't that how it is done on CSI?!)

dobbythefuckingjizzelf Wed 21-Sep-16 13:22:57

You could also look at dash cams and see is one of the better ones has a record function that can be left running when you leave the car to catch the person in the act

As dash cams are usually time and date stamped on the footage they are useable as evidence which could be useful if they escalate from shitty notes to actually damaging your car

FruitCider Wed 21-Sep-16 13:23:50

Dash cam and trip to local police station with the saved notes is a good idea

PiazzaDelPoppolo Wed 21-Sep-16 13:29:53

Don't think I can afford a dash cam at the moment as I'm struggling financially.

umizoomi Wed 21-Sep-16 13:32:20

Like the others have said take notes photos etc.

I think I would also try to hang around and see who it is if you can and where they live.

Then knock on the door and ask them - they will no doubt bang on about their space. Just tell them it's public highway.

Bagina Wed 21-Sep-16 13:34:00

I'd definitely go to the police. Hopefully they'll have a quiet word. This happened to me. One day a nail had been put through our tyre. Luckily we were moving house a week later so it didn't escalate more than that, but people are so awful.

MrsHathaway Wed 21-Sep-16 13:42:23

Gosh, definitely police.

Perhaps leave a note on your dashboard saying it's quite legal for anyone to park there.

Also, get a dashcam - ours starts recording if it senses movement whilst parked. Then you'd have a face to go with the sellotaping.

MrsHathaway Wed 21-Sep-16 13:42:57

Sorry about dash cam comment - hadn't refreshed page blush

Balletgirlmum Wed 21-Sep-16 13:44:16

Definately talk to the police.

I had a similar problem at my old workplace (we were a small office/workshop in a residential street)

I phoned the council & they confirmed that I could park where I liked (except over the speed hump/double yellows).

I would print off a few polite notes & put them through the doors of suspect Ho see saying something like Re: parking in X street. Having spoken to the council & the police it has been confirmed that the road is a problem blue highway & any legally taxed & insured vehicle is able to park there. In the light of me reporting various s recent vandalism/ abusive incidents I have been assured that the area will be monitored & they will possibly sending out one of their unmarked camera cars.

That's a lie of ourse but they won't know that.

Bagina Wed 21-Sep-16 13:46:35

I like that ballet .

Balletgirlmum Wed 21-Sep-16 13:51:23

Ignore the awful auto correct. The road should of course be a public highway (it's not blue!)

Hidingtonothing Wed 21-Sep-16 14:02:28

Ballet's advice is spot on. Not the point I know but in the interests of making your life easier Autoglym do an intensive tar remover that makes removing sticky stuff from your car a piece of cake, loads better than WD40. It's a bit pricey but you only need a spot and comes in handy for removing stickiness from just about anything. Halfords should have it <misses point of thread>

PiazzaDelPoppolo Wed 21-Sep-16 14:04:58

I like that idea. I think I'm going to draft a note to put through the doors and also report to the police.

Buunychops Wed 21-Sep-16 14:33:47

I might tell a little white lie and imply that you do have a dash cam. . . and evidence will be passed to the police.

PiazzaDelPoppolo Wed 21-Sep-16 19:02:27

Thanks for all the replies. I've reported to the police now.

Bagina Wed 21-Sep-16 20:24:48

Good news. Update us on any developments.

CathyCats Wed 21-Sep-16 20:27:44

I'd park outside and place a note on myself saying 'please do leave me another note, more evidence for me to pass over to the police for the harassment case I've logged against you'grin

thisisbloodyridiculous Fri 23-Sep-16 22:26:22

Good luck OP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now