Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

Is it possible that someone could just not be able to use tampons? Ever I mean

(32 Posts)
EsmeCordelia Tue 20-Sep-16 09:33:55

Apologies for the oddness and maybe too personal aspect of this post. Dd is 14 and wants to be able to use tampons for swimming but despite trying the teeniest size available she swears they just won't go in. I've Googled videos for her, demonstrated (as modestly as possible). She says they just won't fit. Part of me is tempted to take her to the doctor to make sure all is okay with her physically. Would that be ott?

Rainydayzandmondays13 Tue 20-Sep-16 09:42:53

In my own experience (and probably tmi) I used to find that I couldn't fit tampons in. They just wouldn't go in. Had no idea why and I thought something was wrong with me. But at 18 I became sexually active and after a while they started to fit and now I wear them all the time.

I wouldn't worry too much. Sanitary pads are good. And taking her to the doctors may embarras her.

chocoshopoholic Tue 20-Sep-16 09:46:11

This may be stating the obvious, but she does know to angle backwards? Remember the pain of trying to force them straight up as a teen.

NewPotatoes Tue 20-Sep-16 09:47:20

I only figured out tampons well into adulthood. I don't think it was sexual activity 'widening access' or anything, but I think that unless you are someone who is happy from your earliest days with feeling around your own genitals (which I definitely wasn't - extreme squeamishness inherited from my mother sad), having sex makes you realise the angle at which you need to put in a tampon much more organically than all the usual advice about aiming towards the small of your back etc.

Is your daughter quite relaxed about trying tampons, or rather tense?

Seeline Tue 20-Sep-16 09:48:03

Also try inserting them whilst in different positions. It can make a difference. I think the main thing though is to try and relax. I was about 15 before I managed the smallest ones. After that it was easy - just because I wasn't tense or panicking.

Youarenotprepared Tue 20-Sep-16 09:50:03

Applicator tampons, lube, aim backwards and try different positions. It's hard to get the hang of.

Mermaid36 Tue 20-Sep-16 09:50:18

I'm 36 and have never been able to use them. I'm sexually active and not squeamish about my genitals and I still can't use tampons or a mooncup...

ValiaH Tue 20-Sep-16 09:50:20

I could never get them in as a teenager, its only in my mid twenties I managed it and even the smallest non-applicator ones are uncomfortable- I think I've used them twice for spa days and I'm now in my early 30's. So yes I think it's possible that some people just aren't suited to them.

Scarydinosaurs Tue 20-Sep-16 09:54:21

Try different brands and Vaseline!

I had to do them laying down until I got used to it!

SugarMiceInTheRain Tue 20-Sep-16 09:58:56

I'm 35, sexually active and still cannot get the hang of them. They feel uncomfortable and I'm always very aware of them. So I still use pads. I suppose a mooncup might be better but it's a lot to spend if it doesn't work...

ChilliMum Tue 20-Sep-16 10:01:04

I don't know if it helps but as a teenager I could only insert a tampon if I lay on my back (obviously cold only apply one at home).
I have no science for this but it wouldn't go in standing up no mattercliffe what i tried. Only discovered this trick after trying in desperation to use a mirror to see what I was doing when I was about 15 as all my friends were using tampons and I was starting to think something was wrong with me!

EsmeCordelia Tue 20-Sep-16 10:04:17

Ooh interesting. She really wants to use them. She wants (in theory) to use a moon cup but if tampons aren't working then a moon up sure won't!

Mirandawest Tue 20-Sep-16 10:07:58

I've never managed to use tampons and am 41. Don't have periods now with my mirena coil but used cloth sanitary towels when I did. Two babies have come out and penises have gone in but trying to put tampons in never worked.

InTheseFlipFlops Tue 20-Sep-16 10:10:18

I can't use them, Ive genuinely tried everything, different brands, different positions. Ive spent hours trying over the years. Ive given up now.
i had a funny look at work recently when someone in my department came on unexpectedly and asked if anyone had a tampon and i offered a towel. Made me feel abut 12!

FoofFighter Tue 20-Sep-16 10:20:22

If her hymen is still intact then of course it's a possibility it simply won't go in.

I find tampons very tricky, I cannot get them to sit right and they are flipping uncomfortable and assume it's just the shape of me.

JennyOnAPlate Tue 20-Sep-16 10:20:52

Can you get her to have a rummage with her fingers first to help her get the lie of the land so to speak? I remember that's how I sussed it when I was about her age.

UnicornMadeOfPinkGlitter Tue 20-Sep-16 10:24:18

I could never use them until late twenties. I just couldn't get on with the applicators and the non applicator ones I wasn't able to get them in far enough.
Try different brands as even now at 40 I can only really use tampax pearl, or the compact ones with plastic applicators, which I hate using from an environmental perspective but would hate to go back to just pads again. Roll on the menopause!!!

gargalesis Tue 20-Sep-16 10:25:02

I couldn't use tampons either until after I'd lost my virginity.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 20-Sep-16 10:25:45

Has she tried non applicator ones?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 20-Sep-16 10:27:03

With lubricant?

Also, when she says they won't go in, does she mean they won't go into her vagina at all, or that they won't go fully in?

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Tue 20-Sep-16 10:29:12

I'm 46, was very promiscuous in my youth but I can't use tampons or anything else that goes up there and never have been able to.

mulberrythatch Tue 20-Sep-16 10:31:25

I never got on with tampons but love my mooncup - I find it much easier. Also

I tried desperately (on summer holidays etc) but just could not get the buggers in until I lost my virginity. It hurt tons and I bled a lot when I lost it. Maybe I had a particularly stubborn hymen hmm

FlamingoSnuffle Tue 20-Sep-16 21:56:58

Is she trying non-applicator ones or applicator ones?

Non-applicator ones can be drying when trying to insert, so I would start with applicator ones and maybe those with the plastic applicator rather than cardboard.

Also, can she insert her finger inside herself to make sure she knows which direction she is aiming and also that her hymen isn't in the way?

Lying on her back on her bed might help, especially given that at first she only wants to wear them whilst swimming.

Blueskyrain Thu 22-Sep-16 20:45:04

Like others here,I struggled as a teen with this, I think its easier as you become more familiar with the angles needed. Plastic applicator tampons are def the way to go.

I wouldn't take her to the doctors unless she wants it, she's better off having a fiddle really, but might not feel really like discussing that with her mum

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now