Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

FFS - where do I pick up my good housekeeping/parenting award?

(10 Posts)
EyepatchOfTravis Mon 19-Sep-16 09:58:41

Getting myself in a bit of a state. I have OCD (actual diagnosed OCD - not "I like my house to gleam" stereotype of OCD), which is not helping.

It's chucking it down with rain today and my daughter went into school wearing her raincoat.

I've just seen on her coat rack that her winter/anorak type coat (which I think her raincoat was hanging up over) is covered in that grey, dusty type of mold. I have no idea how long it's been like this, I don't understand how I've not noticed before - but then housekeeping is something I don't have a natural aptitude for.

I'm not sure whether her raincoat was hanging up over this coat this morning (I know it often does) or was in her bag - but now I'm thinking of how the inside of the coat would have been touching all this mould, and she's wearing it over her school uniform - or if it's been stored inside her bag whether the inside of her bag will be contaminated. Is it going to make her/her classmates ill? Strangely, none of the other coats on the hangers are affected, but I'll still wash them.

This could very well sound daft, but I'm getting myself in a bit of a state. I don't have to contact school do I? Am I being silly? blush sad

AlwaysOldBeforeMyTime Mon 19-Sep-16 10:03:04

Try not to worry OP, I'd be upset if this happened too but no need to ring school I'd just wash what you can today then sort out her coat/bag once she gets home later if necessary.

I'm sure it won't make anyone ill xx

ayeokthen Mon 19-Sep-16 10:06:22

I also have diagnosed OCD and hate that stereotype with a passion. I understand your panic, can you do some breathing exercises or routines to calm yourself before she comes home? Once she's home I'd chuck it all in the wash with dettol/zoflora and that will sort out the bugs. I know it's not easy but try not to panic, use distractions techniques or whatever you need to do to keep calm until she gets home.

EyepatchOfTravis Mon 19-Sep-16 10:46:56

Thanks folks. Just realised that it's where she always hangs her school back pack too - which has probably been put in places all over the house...

FluffyWuffyFuckYou Mon 19-Sep-16 10:49:13

It's not in anyway harmful to anyones health, unless someone licks the entire thing clean of any mould. And even then its highly unlikely to cause a problem.
Don't be worrying.

EyepatchOfTravis Mon 19-Sep-16 10:52:58

Thank you so much - my brain is spinning off on all kinds of tangents of whether it would be poisonous and whether the area that the kids hang their bags will now be contaminated. sad.

EyepatchOfTravis Mon 19-Sep-16 10:56:44

The bit of her backpack that goes over her back will have literally been right on top of the mouldy coat all weekend... Bloody hell.

BishopBrennansArse Mon 19-Sep-16 10:59:18

When you wash the coat do a pre wash with some ace bleach, it'll kill any spores left in the coat (shouldn't be many to be honest as it's dry).

EyepatchOfTravis Mon 19-Sep-16 11:02:00

Not sure how to clean her backpack, which will have definitely been hanging up rubbing against all that mould - was thinking maybe I could go over it with the vacuum then my steamer...?

EyepatchOfTravis Mon 19-Sep-16 11:32:34

Oh good grief - I hope this doesn't mean that the school backpack has gone mouldy and I haven't noticed when she's taken it into school. Trying to work out where it may have been put around the front room this morning when we were getting ready for school... I need to let this go, don't I...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now