Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

to change my choice of travel system?

(85 Posts)
awkward91 Mon 19-Sep-16 00:11:04

DH and I spent all last weekend looking at travel systems for our DC1 who is due to arrive in a couple of weeks. We saw one that we liked and planned to purchase is on payday. A family member has kindly offered to pay for the travel system so we sent them a link to the product and they basically replied saying that it's too cheep and would probably collapse and injure our DC, and that we need to choose a more expensive one.

I'm now conflicted - do I choose a similar slightly more expensive product or do I take offence at the suggestion that I'd choose something that would endanger my child and tell them that with or without their contribution that that's the system we've chosen and will be buying?

Help please!

DaviesMum Mon 19-Sep-16 00:17:28

Perhaps ask if they have heard of similar cases. Feign shock but try and get to the facts. Then when they come up with none, just say "I think I'll stick with our original choice, thanks"

MiddleClassProblem Mon 19-Sep-16 00:21:44

Have a bit of a research of the product you like online, see reviews etc or even ask on here. I don't think they are allowed to sell ones that are not safe. Does it come with a guarantee?

44PumpLane Mon 19-Sep-16 00:25:56

What travel system have you decided on.

Like others have mentioned you can't sell something that isn't safe, but maybe they kust want to look impressive to others by being able to say "oh we got them the new XYZ" instead of being the orurchaser of a cheaper item which others may think was dictated by their budget and not your choice?!

smileyhappypeople Mon 19-Sep-16 00:29:40

Depends.... Did you choose it because you like it or just because it's the one that was the best in your price range?
If you like it then tell them to Bugger off (unless they have facts to back up claims). If you would actually prefer a more expensive one then thanks them and get it
Or send them a message back saying ok if your sure with another link to a bugaboo limited edition or something equally as expensive! Might change their minds then haha

GiddyOnZackHunt Mon 19-Sep-16 00:34:14

If it's sold through a retail outlet in the UK then it will be subject to safety standards. One of which is surely not to collapse randomly

lalalalyra Mon 19-Sep-16 00:46:37

Have they read any reports of is it likely to be a snobbish/bragging thing?

There are safety standards, but there can be glitches with certain pushchairs. I wouldn't buy in brand as I know two people who had the same issue with the safety catch - it's small fry in comparison to the thousands of pushchairs they sell but perhaps understandable if your family member has read of people having the same issue?

awkward91 Mon 19-Sep-16 00:54:19

Thanks for your replies everyone. We chose a Hauck system from
Mothercare as we liked it and because it was the best in our price range. It's highly unlikely that there's anything dangerous about it reviews for it are positive.

I think I was just a bit miffed as it was implied that DH and I hadn't done our research and this particular family member has form for trying to control things by throwing money about. I think maybe this could be used for bragging rights and they'll probably tell wider family/friends about this all to make us look a bit incompetent.

I have just seen another system which is nearly double the price so I'll suggest that, letting them know that we did do our research and see what they say!

NovemberInDailyFailLand Mon 19-Sep-16 02:27:52

Well, a stökke, bugaboo, silver cross if they insist! ;)

QueenLizIII Mon 19-Sep-16 03:09:53

I want one of these

www.mothercare.com/prams-and-pushchairs/cosatto-giggle-3-in-1-ts/LA3409.html?dwvar_LA3409_color=Space%20Racer&cgid=prams_pushchairs#prefn1=brand&sz=12&start=10&prefv1=Cosatto

Portobelly Mon 19-Sep-16 03:33:27

Have you considered looking on eBay for a better brand pram second hand.
I purchased an immaculate hardly used pram and buggy system that would retail at £950 for £100.
It is very solid and compared to lighter models like that you are suggesting is very easy to manoeuvre up and down curbs, and is great when laden with shopping.

Most prams glide around the shop floor great. But like stilettos they feel totally different when you are on the real pavement and totally loaded.

So yes, your relative is being a bit rude about your suggestion, and maybe it isn't coming from the best intentions.
But
Your pram choice might not be the best you could make within your means either?

BillSykesDog Mon 19-Sep-16 03:35:17

I suspect that they think that because they offered to pay you picked a cheap one because you didn't want to be grabby. I think that this is there very tactless way of telling you that they're prepared to pay more towards it.

Personally I've never seen the point spending that much money on a travel system. They won't be in it long and you'll end up using a cheap lightweight fold up one as quick as you can anyway.

Longlost10 Mon 19-Sep-16 03:59:23

how odd.Do you mean a push chair? Why don't you just say a push chair?They don't collapse and injure people.

BillSykesDog Mon 19-Sep-16 04:32:25

A travel system is a certain type of pushchair which includes a car seat and converts from pram to pushchair and can have the car seat used with the pram. So the OP was just being precise in her description. No need for snotty remarks.

FireflyGirl Mon 19-Sep-16 06:47:16

Longlost, she means a travel system, not a pushchair.

And there have been instances of some models collapsing, including the earliest version of the travel system I eventually bought (the Giggle, QueenLiz, which I still love 18 months later and have had lots of compliments about the design - Ooh LaLa - and how high up DS is in it, which was one of my criteria).

So, nothing odd about her query.

OP - I think this is a case of how much you want to be indebted to this family member. If they are going to lord it over you anyway, regardless of which one you choose, I'd go for it and pick a Bugaboo or Uppababy.

Longlost10 Mon 19-Sep-16 07:08:15

Longlost, she means a travel system, not a pushchair. advertising victims!!

Mypurplecaravan Mon 19-Sep-16 07:14:52

Well no long lost. It is a more accurate way to describe it. For one thing it is a pram for the first 6 months not a chair.

Like asking about cot beds rather than vote or beds

If she had asked about pushchairs she would get a lot of responses asking for you mean travel system or buggy

Grow up

BertieBotts Mon 19-Sep-16 07:20:49

It's a different thing. No need to be snippy! A pushchair is just a chair. A travel system is suitable from birth and contains an attachment for car seat and/or carrycot.

OP I think you need to tell us which is the cheap one and which the expensive one. smile FWIW I think Hauck is a pretty good brand.

FoxesSitOnBoxes Mon 19-Sep-16 07:21:12

Longlost: It's not a pushchair though. It's a combined pram and pushchair and base for pushing your car seat. I get that you think it's a wanky name but it isn't a pushchair so it does need its own name.
OP, I'd just be grateful and ask what the new budget is and have another look. When we were looking the more expensive ones were certainly a lot lighter/easier to push/easier to fold. Not saying the cheaper ones are dangerous but I think you do get a better one with a bigger budget

MrsMook Mon 19-Sep-16 07:23:25

Choose what works for your needs.

I was very happy with the one I chose 5+ years ago. I wanted something study for use in parks and didn't need to worry too much about boot space. As I still do a buggy fit class with my 3 year old, it's still in service. I once spoke to someone with the same pram and she hated it, the main problem being that she hadn't checked that it would fit in her car, so constantly had to swap cars.

The right choice is the one that works for your needs, not the price tag.

Smooshface Mon 19-Sep-16 07:24:39

I would check reviews carefully etc. I had a lovely silver cross that actually weighed a ton and was a total arse to unfold. I'd get a maclaren, I think there is one that you can plug a car seat into, or one of the really well rated travel systems. If you want it to last I wouldn't be convinced by that brand, no offence to them and I'm sure they are fine, but on the 100th time of unfolding buggy and clipping in pram bits you want it to be smooth and easy. They say not to leave kids in car seats too long so be aware of that!

BertieBotts Mon 19-Sep-16 07:25:41

I have known a couple of buggies to collapse. One was Safety 1st (ironically!) and was an inline double, the cheapest Argos did IIRC. She replaced it with a Phil + Ted's.

The other one I don't remember the brand, but it was a side by side, cheap one (as in, it was extremely basic, umbrella fold style) AND it had been used heavily for a couple of years. Replaced with umbrella fold single and a buggy board.

PinkSnowAndStars Mon 19-Sep-16 07:27:11

As soon as I opened it I expected you to say Hauck.

I agree, choose a more expensive one. I was NOT happy with the car seat at all and switched to a maxi cosi within a few weeks of my child being born.

gggrrrargh Mon 19-Sep-16 07:27:47

I have exactly the same thing! I've chosen one that I researched and would have been more than happy with, but the relative buying has said they were planning to spend quite a bit more. I'm wrestling with conscience at moment..!

NapQueen Mon 19-Sep-16 07:29:16

Maybe ask them how much they had envisaged spending and go back and try some in their price bracket?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now