Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

Party clash - WWYD?

(9 Posts)
LuluNTutu Sun 18-Sep-16 23:20:55

1st world problem I know but...

DD is at nursery 1 day a week. We've only recently moved to the area and had quite a rough year, so I planned a really nice party for her 4th birthday with her new nursery class. DD's grandma kindly insisted on booking and paying nearly £200 for a magician! It's not refundable.

DD's birthday's not until late October, but I sent a message on the parents' FB chat last week saying save the date.

Yesterday, I got a message from another mum in the class saying actually she's planned her DD's party for the same day. Just hadn't got round to telling anyone. So my DD's party is in the afternoon and classmate's is in the morning (with about an hour between them).

I have no idea what to do. Classmate attends nursery full time and has already been there for a year, so I think it's likely parents will go to 1 party only and prioritise classmate's party. I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend their Saturday rushing between two 4 year olds parties.

So what should I do? I feel sick at the money I've wasted. Do I just cancel the party now and avoid throwing more good money after bad? Is there a way to stop this ever happening again?

Sameoldiggi Sun 18-Sep-16 23:26:20

Did the other mum make any suggestions? If she hasn't booked anything could you not have a joint party? Hope you find a way to make it work.

sn1ce Sun 18-Sep-16 23:27:25

You could ask them if they'd like to do a joint party?

Wolfiefan Sun 18-Sep-16 23:28:11

I wouldn't cancel. We have done two parties in one day. Hectic but doable. (Depending on travel time!)
Can you move the party an hour or two to give parents a breather?
TBH if the other parent hasn't got round to telling anyone I would say they are the ones who need to move the date.
Can you invite some non nursery friends too?
Once in school you should find out who has birthdays about the same time. (My son had a friend with a birthday very close to his. We spoke every year to avoid clashes!)

Mistletoekids Sun 18-Sep-16 23:29:04

Explain to mum and ask to do joint party😊

WordGetsAround Sun 18-Sep-16 23:30:02

You mistake was sending out 'save the date'. Next time just send out the proper invitations when you're ready to - then it's a done deal.

People may well come to both.

LyndaNotLinda Sun 18-Sep-16 23:31:33

Joint party definitely! With added lure of free magician, she'd be mad to say no

CocktailQueen Sun 18-Sep-16 23:32:51

What a rude woman! So she hasn't sent out invites, but is happy to say that you have booked 'her' dAte?!

Carry on with your plans.

Zazagabor Sun 18-Sep-16 23:48:58

Have you spoken to the magician and asked if him if he can rearrange and explained why? I had same situation with a soft play venue and they were able to change the date to the following week.
It should be the other party which should be moved though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now