Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

Parking charge at party venue

(22 Posts)
TurquoiseTranquility Sun 18-Sep-16 22:45:23

So I've booked DS's 7th birthday party. It's at a nature reserve and unfortunately the only parking available is a council car park which charges £2.50 per day. How do I present this to the parents without upsetting anyone?

I think the actual venue is right next to the car park (haven't been there so not 100% sure). Suppose I could buy a whole lot of parking tickets and tell people to park up then pop into the venue for their ticket? (this could add up to £50 to the cost of the party though sad)

Or could I politely suggest that people don't bring a present? (was going to do that anyway, as an option rather than "no presents please")

Reimburse with cash after the party? (is this a bit patronising though?)

Or just leave it as it is? (the party invitations issued by the venue state the parking charge so this won't be a nasty surprise on arrival)

IsItMeOr Sun 18-Sep-16 22:47:25

At 7, won't most of them drop off and leave anyway?

But I would expect to pay for my own parking either way.

You are massively overthinking this. If people want to drive they'll pay for parking.

Only1scoop Sun 18-Sep-16 22:49:08

Massive overthinking

Don't give it another moment

scoobdoob Sun 18-Sep-16 22:52:42

I would pay and not even think about it. But I can understand what you are worrying about because I would be getting myself in the same state. I always tie my self up in knots about any parties and make it far harder for myself!
But honestly seeing it without the stress of it being my party paying is no problem. It is even written on the invites so totally normal.

lilydaisyrose Sun 18-Sep-16 22:54:46

Would parents have to pay twice? Once when dropping off and once when collecting?

TurquoiseTranquility Sun 18-Sep-16 23:03:07

thanks all, I am a massive overthinker blush
I doubt parents would be dropping off and leaving, as 1) quite a few parents in DS's class still stay (unless told otherwise), and 2) it being an outdoor party with river dipping and a 30 min drive from my town, I very much doubt anyone will be tempted to leave.

TurquoiseTranquility Sun 18-Sep-16 23:04:37

but if some do, I don't see why they'd be paying for parking at either drop-off or pick up as it's only for a few minutes.

JacquettaWoodville Sun 18-Sep-16 23:04:42

If you want an "excuse" to say "no presents, it's a good one!

LyndaNotLinda Sun 18-Sep-16 23:18:59

I wouldn't worry about it but I would let them know in advance. I guess if people really don't want to pay £2.50, then you could say that if they want to arrange lift shares, you could put them in touch with people (and offer to take a few kids yourself if possible?)

But it's not like you're asking them for a tenner

lilydaisyrose Sun 18-Sep-16 23:35:19

It would make me really cross to have to pay this (sorry TT) so anything you could do to suggest lift shares/coffee for parents etc would be very much appreciated.

Smellyrose Sun 18-Sep-16 23:38:04

My DC go to parties at leisure centres where parking is charged - it has never crossed my mind that I should resent paying it.

BackforGood Sun 18-Sep-16 23:38:18

Well, at 6 or 7 I'd have just been dropping off anyway, but it might be worth letting people know that there is a parking charge so people don't come out without any cash. Don't get in to offering to pay though, that's really overthinking it.

CannotEvenDeal Sun 18-Sep-16 23:39:31

I've paid for my own parking at a party before and not really given it a second thought tbh... esp as driving was quicker and cheaper than public transport, even including the parking.

The party was at a zoo and ds got a free visit so why would I complain? grin

ShowMe Sun 18-Sep-16 23:39:49

I wouldn't worry about its only £2.50. You could just write on the invite that the parking costs £2.50 then parents could decide not to come if they wanted.

CannotEvenDeal Sun 18-Sep-16 23:40:23

Oh and my invite didn't have parking info so it's good that yours does.

Floggingmolly Sun 18-Sep-16 23:49:19

I'd go with buying the parking tickets...

icclemunchy Sun 18-Sep-16 23:52:53

There's a place near us that charges the same (in face they do the same parties so might be where your going!!) leave it for parents to pay themselves. They can hang around and have a coffee or go for a walk. The one near us has a new play area and the parking covers all day so the option to let the kids run riot after would be there

Themoleandcrew Sun 18-Sep-16 23:54:33

I wouldn't bat an eyelid at having to pay for parking. It might be nice to know in advance but I usually would google the venue to find out where it was and the parking situation.

Scroobius Mon 26-Sep-16 21:31:08

Don't buy parking tickets. There is absolutely no need, if people drive cars they are well aware that sometimes you have to pay to park places so being really annoyed about it is a bit of an overreaction. I'd never dream that someone should pay for my parking!

Pisssssedofff Tue 27-Sep-16 10:36:08

People will pay their own parking

ItsJustPaint Tue 27-Sep-16 10:39:31

Just buy them a coffee if it really bothers you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now