Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

How do I top up my boiler????

(13 Posts)
Needfinsnow Thu 15-Sep-16 16:57:47

Help please mumsnetters!! How do I top up the bloody thing?? Is it easy to do?! ! My boiler (pretty new, Twoish years ago) is really bad at keeping pressure, plumber says it's just one of those things. Usually I get my dad to refil it for me but he's been so busy I haven't like to ask.. Three weeks later he's on holiday and I'm fed up of boiling water / filling sink up from shower etc...plus we are cold and I'd quite like to stick the heating on for a bit tonight!!

Thanks in advance x

IAmAPaleontologist Thu 15-Sep-16 17:07:23

I don't know, I'd have thought it will depend on the make but if you google the make and model then you should be able to find the instructions and maybe YouTube how to guide.

IToldYouIWasFreaky Thu 15-Sep-16 17:09:59

With mine, there's a tap on one of the pipes leading into the boiler. You just turn it on until the pressure reaches the right level and then turn off. Simple! But you need to know what the appropriate pressure should be so you reallly do need the instructions...

OhNoNotMyBaby Thu 15-Sep-16 17:11:59

Is @PigletJohn around?

I know how to do it on my boiler - it takes around 30 seconds - not much help to you I'm afraid.

Brontebiscuits Thu 15-Sep-16 17:13:54

I think most boilers shouldn't be topped up beyond 1.5 bar.

Needfinsnow Thu 15-Sep-16 17:46:53

It's a gloworm. It's got a knob in the middle I'm meant to twist and push up, and then two small knobs either side I'm meant to twist too...but I can't figure it out! :-(

Brontebiscuits Thu 15-Sep-16 18:06:10

Have you still got the instructions? Or if not, you can usually find them online for specific makes of boilers.

specialsubject Thu 15-Sep-16 21:28:13

Get your dad to show you how YOU do it.

Then get a competent person to find the leak. Because there is one.

ratspeaker Fri 16-Sep-16 08:12:05

Do you have the instructions to hand, if not look them up on the web, you often get tutorials on youtube.
In my gloworm there are 2 grey knobs that need turned, you can hear the water going in, you turn them off again when the pressure is at correct level.
You shouldn't need to keep topping it up often.
It's a closed system so frequent top ups implies a leak somewhere. Check around the radiator pipes, feel if any are wet, we found tiny drips in 2 rads that you couldn't see immediately. Easily sorted by tightening the connections btw.

ratspeaker Fri 16-Sep-16 08:22:48

Here is an example of youtube video
youtu.be/wbln867mxgk

I keep the manual in a older near the boiler, it also has a bit for logging each service at the back

LurkingHusband Mon 19-Sep-16 12:57:08

Then get a competent person to find the leak. Because there is one.

Or the expansion vessel has failed, and when the system pressurises it causes a blowout which loses pressure through the safety valve.

We had this and had to repressurise the EV which was fun hmm

Skyler30 Mon 19-Sep-16 14:02:02

You just put some water in it don't you, innit confused

youngestisapsycho Mon 19-Sep-16 14:09:43

ours used to do this... we had a tap thing on the pipe in the cupboard below. Had to turn till the pressure went back to about 1.5 on the dial. There is definitely something wrong with yours, your plumber is shite. We had to have a part replaced in ours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now