Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

To ask for reassurance over this misunderstanding?

(40 Posts)
LonestarStateOfMind Wed 14-Sep-16 20:10:37

Today I have been contacted by police and informed they have received a complaint that one day last week I topped up with petrol and didn't pay. I am in shock, I remember clearly the events from that day, I withdrew money out of the ATM to pay another bill and used £20 to pay for petrol and a couple of other small items. I wouldn't usually pay in cash but as I was at the ATM anyway I thought I'd get extra out to speed things up as I was on my break from work. I have searched everywhere for receipt but yesterday was bin day and I think it's gone. The police have relayed this back to the garage but the manager is not back in till tomorrow morning and the officer in charge of the case will not be back in till Saturday so I've been told it will be Saturday at the earliest before I hear anything. I am so worried, how can I prove I paid without a receipt. I am also completely mortified as this is my local shop/garage in a town where everyone knows everything and every family has at least one family member working in the shop and I feel like everyone knows and will be talking about being a thief shock sad

Littleelffriend Wed 14-Sep-16 20:11:31

Cctv

Elfontheedge Wed 14-Sep-16 20:13:04

Yes. CCTV will be able to confirm that you went in and paid at the till

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 14-Sep-16 20:13:08

The cctv and till balance will show that you paid cash.

Any chance you paid for the wrong pump, hence the confusion?

whattaway Wed 14-Sep-16 20:15:06

Isn't it up the garage to prove you didn't pay confused

BrieAndChilli Wed 14-Sep-16 20:15:09

Did you buy any other bits there other than petrol?? If so and can remember what they were that may help track your payment in the till.

goldensolait Wed 14-Sep-16 20:15:28

Don't worry. I worked in a petrol station when I was a teen. Cctv should have recorded you paying and this can be compared against their electronic journal which is the computer system that shows all transactions that go through the till.

BeingATwatItsABingThing Wed 14-Sep-16 20:16:15

Would the garage have their copy of the receipt?

LonestarStateOfMind Wed 14-Sep-16 20:17:47

Thank you for replying. Will CCTV help as I had other items it just proves I paid for something.

goldensolait Wed 14-Sep-16 20:21:53

Its all on the electronic journal (basically their version of all the receipts that are recorded on computer) Know a rough time and what the other items were and it should be easy enough to find out

LonestarStateOfMind Wed 14-Sep-16 20:22:07

Do you think the garage would have a copy of receipts from last week? I have told the officer what time I paid and what the total was roughly, it was an old total, I don't remember the exact pence.

RandomMess Wed 14-Sep-16 20:22:22

Quite possible that the cashiers have made a mistake and someone at another pump is the non-payer?

Horrible for you in the meantime flowers

irelephant Wed 14-Sep-16 20:23:22

DH got a caution for this a few months ago. He bought fags as well and the kiosk person never put the petrol through.

I wouldn't care it was my car and my bankcard.

I now boycott morrisons as I know fine well he wouldn't of forgot too say what pump. He refused too apologise too the attendant on principle might be why he got the caution

RandomMess Wed 14-Sep-16 20:24:43

They will have an electronic record of all transactions, try not to worry!

LonestarStateOfMind Wed 14-Sep-16 20:26:02

Oh my god irelephant, that is terrible. This is what I'm afraid of.

irelephant Wed 14-Sep-16 20:32:29

It was daft it had just been an accident and not even DH's mistake.

Worst comes to worst it's a caution for fuel theft. I don't think he helped himself by refusing to apologise.

Morrisons the bastards are a big company with a local shop you should be fine with paying and an apology.

irelephant Wed 14-Sep-16 20:34:51

If it turns out you haven't that is.

I pay cash for everything and don't keep receipts it could happen to anyone.

Honestly don't worry yourself over it you can't change anything so it's pointless fretting flowers

LonestarStateOfMind Wed 14-Sep-16 21:16:39

Thank you irelephant and random for the flowers. I am just a worrier in general but will try not to over think this. The police officer said much the same as you all have. He said it was obvious this was my first ever dealing with the police I may have cried blush It just seems a long time till Saturday.

lilyboleyn Wed 14-Sep-16 21:41:38

Lone star, you don't have to accept a caution so if they try it, refuse.

CCTV will show you paying and there will be till records for the time that tallies with the cctv. If there is not, it's not your problem.

Because of that, if you refuse to accept the caution they won't take you to court because there won't be a leg to stand on.

LonestarStateOfMind Wed 14-Sep-16 23:11:38

Thanks lily that is also good to know.

ImperialBlether Wed 14-Sep-16 23:14:35

But surely the CCTV has been seen by the manager and shows you didn't pay? If you did pay, why would they not have seen that?

ImperialBlether Wed 14-Sep-16 23:14:50

But surely the CCTV has been seen by the manager and shows you didn't pay? If you did pay, why would they not have seen that?

ImperialBlether Wed 14-Sep-16 23:15:34

Apologies for double posting!

Sootica Wed 14-Sep-16 23:18:24

Do not accept a caution! That's an admission of guilt. As poster above said let them take it to court wld be obvious and doubt CPS would prosecute with CCTV and you can show your cash withdrawal at relevant time

LonestarStateOfMind Wed 14-Sep-16 23:32:53

I imagine that the problem with the CCTV is that it shows me paying for something but doesn't necessarily prove it was the petrol as I had 2 other small items. If I was the manager I would check the CCTV first and then check that time and till against the electronic journal (?) people are telling me about. I really don't know why that hasn't happened in this case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now