Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

why are small children's voices so grating?

(7 Posts)
Wordsaremything Sun 11-Sep-16 17:58:56

Ok , I know I am being unreasonable. However.

When I moved to this house it was incredibly quiet and mainly older people who lived here.

Now three or four young families have moved in with children of similar ages, and they all play out together. Now whilst it's good that the area is safe enough to do that at times it becomes too much.

Sometimes- like now! The noise escalates and escalates. There seems to be no adult supervision going on at all . Some of the children are very sweet and well behaved normally and just getting over excited. There are a fair few others who are just allowed to tear round bare footed and screaming.

It's the shrieking that gets to me. On and on and on. I love my house. I hate noise and am not especially fond of children. But I don't want to be a miserable old wot sit , but am getting close to losing my rag.

I've just said to a friend if this was going on when I bought, I d never have moved to this part of town.sad

Do I say anything ?

VioletBam Mon 12-Sep-16 01:07:50

What's wrong with being bare footed? hmm My DD rarely wears shoes. She hates them and always has. Her feet are like leather.

If we're somewhere dirty or dangerous then she has to wear shoes but otherwise...meh.

And no. You don't "say anything" unless they're causing damage or shouting past 9.00pm at night or before 8.30am.

It's life! They're kids....kids play.

ftw Mon 12-Sep-16 01:11:49

There's a reason their parents have sent them outside...

WingsofNylon Mon 12-Sep-16 18:57:32

Annoying as hell but there is nothing you can do about it.

specialsubject Wed 14-Sep-16 19:55:36

Play is fine, constant screaming or shrieking in no special needs is not fine, and something they need to be taught not to do.

Lorelei76 Wed 21-Sep-16 22:55:03

OP I'm so with you on this
It's the pitch or the tone..even when they are talking quietly I can't bear it. Screaming would finish me off. I'm childfree and I am so relieved now my friends' kids are older.

I live in a block of small flats, I often think that even if I had money for a house and garden it could easily be spoiled by this noise esp in summer, Im better at coping with late night drunks walking by - it's a major road near the Tube - than I would be at coping with toddlers at 8.30 am.

Would triple glazing help?

Lorelei76 Wed 21-Sep-16 22:56:01

I should add, the late night drunks aren't just quietly walking by, they seem to whoop and shriek a lot!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now