Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted.

Is anyone awake who can talk me down please?

(45 Posts)

This is going to sound ridiculous but I'm getting into a right state.

In my husband's culture hearing an owl means someone close to you will die. The thing is I really did hear an owl before dd2 died sad

Now I can hear an owl again. I've been to check the children and they are all still breathing but DH is on nights and I can't get hold of him. I'm getting more and more worked up. I know it sounds ridiculous but I am scared.

regularbutpanickingabit Sun 11-Sep-16 02:54:41

Hey, here to talk you down. Millions of owls, all of whom hoot, an awful coincidence on a tragic day before.
Is you dh out, away or at work?

5BlueHydrangea Sun 11-Sep-16 02:56:23

What happened to dd2? Do you live in the countryside? Quite common if so to hear owls.

regularbutpanickingabit Sun 11-Sep-16 02:56:53

Sorry, just seen he's on nights. So that probably means he is just unable to answer the phone because of work. Do you normally try and call him at this time? When is he due home?
Maybe try emailing once, or texting, just to ask for reassurance and then try and sleep.
Really sorry for your loss, no wonder you are upset.

AnnieOnnieMouse Sun 11-Sep-16 02:57:09

Here for you
I'm so very sorry you are upset. I've never heard of that superstition before, thankfully, as we lived in a place with owls all around.
It's awful when superstitions get inside your head.

KimmySchmidtsSmile Sun 11-Sep-16 03:04:04

Handholding. Cannot sleep as am in the country, in a FeWo (holiday flat) and can hear a mozzie buzzing. It knows I am lactating and wants my sweet blood.
I have never heard of the owl thing but I am terribly sorry for your loss and understand why you feel the way you do. brewcake

Thank you, he isn't allowed a phone at work but I have emailed him, normally he responds but then I guess he wouldn't be looking for an email at this time.

I never heard an owl before in my life until we lost dd2. This is the second time! My brother likes birds and at the time told me it is just because they were looking for territory but why did I not hear any since? And why then? And more worryingly why now sad sorry I'm a mess

Dd2 was stillborn at 40+5 I was awake having contractions when I heard the owl. She had been moving up until that point sad

regularbutpanickingabit Sun 11-Sep-16 03:12:43

It's ok to be a mess, it obviously has terrible connotations for you and this time of night makes everyone feel more vulnerable.
The likelihood is you have heard owls before but not been in the situation where the noise has registered.
If he can't have s phone and isn't working in s job where he checks his email every few minutes then that is why you haven't heard back.
Can you call s landline?
Sorry you are so upset.

Rainbowqueeen Sun 11-Sep-16 03:13:10

Handholding here.
Try a cup of sweet tea to calm you and lots of deep breaths.

I hope your DH checks his emails soon

Hugs

I have a baby son now, he has been sick today so my sleep has been lighter as I've been checking on him.

Thank you all for being gentle with me I know it sounds daft, I just ca't help feeling so scared by it

AnnieOnnieMouse Sun 11-Sep-16 03:16:10

Any chance the kids are of an age where you could safely bundle everyone into bed with you? Do something really daft like plan a ridiculously early breakfast, get everyone up at the crack of dawn, then all have a nap later?

KimmySchmidtsSmile Sun 11-Sep-16 03:17:04

Sweetheart, owls are also seen in some cultures as a protective spirit or of representing souls. But you know, sometimes occam's razor is valid: it's just a bird, no more, no less with no power over you or those you hold dear.
Please try not to worry although I appreciate it's difficult.

AnnieOnnieMouse Sun 11-Sep-16 03:18:18

Ah, so a abay - sorry, I'd forgotten the ages of your children - how about if you lifted him out of his cot, and sat propped on the sofa, with him safely asleep on your shoulder?

I've got the baby in bed with me now, he woke for a feed anyway so that's helping. I think I am doing fine and then the tiniest thing sends me spiralling back.

tryingtogetthroughlife Sun 11-Sep-16 03:22:52

Oh Hun, do any of you're neighbors have bird sheds in there garden?
I know that probably sounds weird but you can buy owls so could a neighbor have brought one?
I remember before when Harry Potter first came out apparently a lot of parents was buying them as pets?

SusanAndBinkyRideForth Sun 11-Sep-16 03:23:02

I'm so sorry for your loss.

But owls are allowed to exist as actual real life birds who fly, mate, bring up their young, and yes call out. Near us someone has an owl in an aviary (and shows him) -we hear it call all the time. smile
Hope you get some sleep smile

HandbagCrazy Sun 11-Sep-16 03:23:35

I am so sorry for your loss OP flowers

I can understand why you're scared. Where do you live?

Not sure if it helps you, but there is woodland behind where I live and I hear owls regularly. They have never led to anything bad happening to me, my friends or family.

Take some deep breaths and try and calm down OP. I hope you're husband is home soon?

This has really helped thank you. flowers A little bit of perspective. That racing feeling has stopped although I'm still not calm, I'm nearly there.

tryingtogetthroughlife Sun 11-Sep-16 03:29:18

Could it off been another animal that's made a sound, and it's unfortunately sounded like an owl? I have heard before that doves can be mistaken on noises as they sound quite similar.

3littlebadgers thinking of you. I hope tonight will be fine, I am sure it will.

Have you had counselling after the loss of your dd? I think that would be a good idea for you to be able to move on from this terrible tragedy. Not that you will probably every fully 'get over it' but rather to live with it and no tallow it encroach on your current happiness.

It was definitely an owl, we get doves, and they do sound similar, but this was definitely different.

I had counselling, but it was to help me in my subsequent pregnancy as I was a wreck. Once my son was born I was discharged.

Generally I am ok, I am sad by my loss but I have got to a point where I can sort of sit with my grief, if that makes sense? Then something tiny will happen and I crumble. Like this owl sound. I guess the problem is I never know when something like that will happen and so I am ill prepared.

AnnieOnnieMouse Sun 11-Sep-16 03:41:40

All sorts of myths - here are a few Welsh ones

British beliefs about owls include the Welsh belief that if a owl is heard amongst houses then an unmarried girl has lost her virginity. Another Welsh belief is that if a pregnant woman hears an owl, her child will be blessed.

AnnieOnnieMouse Sun 11-Sep-16 03:45:21

I hope the dawn comes soon for you, and DH gets back to you soon. Sorry I can't help any more. Will check back when I wake. brew

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now