Monkey Bars

(3 Posts)
GeekLove Tue 20-Sep-16 13:19:00

So...
They are the bane of my obstacle course races - my PB is two bars.
I can do the ones at the gym but any of the roof-type ones - forget it.

I am practising dead hangs and hand swaps but I can barely manage a minute tops.

So who here has been able to become Queen of the Monkey Bars?

fishtankbrain Wed 16-Nov-16 21:38:07

Hello!

I am a keen obstacle racer and monkey bars were always my nemesis - until this year when I finally managed to complete two sets (including one up and down incline set) in race conditions. I am now the world's smuggest person as a result...

Three things helped with me.

Firstly, I had real confidence issues in races re the bars - could manage them in practice but always fell apart on race day and became convinced I could not do them. And it became a self-fulfilling prophecy. Reading up on racing mind sets helped a lot with that.

Secondly - as much training practise as you can get so that it becomes ingrained as muscle memory and you can kind of out-perform your brain when it becomes fearful. I am lucky enough to have a set in the place where I train and it is no coincidence that I nailed my first race set about 2 weeks after they were installed.

Thirdly - heavy weights (bench press, kettlebells, overhead press) and lots of body weight exercises (chin ups etc).

Good luck!

GeekLove Thu 17-Nov-16 14:11:09

I'll bear this in mind. I'm currently trying to get into the mindset of cranking off chin ups whenever I pass the bar but the reality of this is that sleep deprivation is killing my willpower!

I'll be more disciplined - I need to work on hangs as well. ALso fat grips too but I want to be able to do multiple good form chin-ups before I put the insulation on the bar again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now