Weight machines in gym

(9 Posts)
HaPPy8 Fri 05-Aug-16 07:35:38

does anyone know if the weight machines in the gym are as effective as free weights? Or do you need to use free weights for best results?

Thank you

LordEmsworth Sat 06-Aug-16 15:44:40

Free weights all the way.

With machines, they isolate one part of you to work it. With free weights, you're having to use all your muscles to brace yourself as well as working the part that you're targetting. So you have to work harder.

There are some machines that make you work in a way you can't yourself or give you resistance - e.g. back extensions, cables - but they still require you to use your whole body.

HaPPy8 Sun 07-Aug-16 17:04:57

Thank you. I was afraid that might be the case!

LordEmsworth Sun 07-Aug-16 17:16:48

If you can't face free weights - or don't have any - then machines are better than not doing anything! And bodyweight exercises, push ups/squat jumps/body row etc all are excellent...

DownstairsMixUp Sun 07-Aug-16 17:21:45

I only use free weights for my legs and the machines for my arms. I get good results but tbh my arms don't take much work on them !

Laylajoh Wed 17-Aug-16 09:28:33

Machines are generally inferior to using free weights. However, I do agree that sometimes they are the better alternative, i.e. when you are not sure about posture or you are having some difficulties. It is better to do a certain exercise with a machine, rather than do it poorly with a free weight.

Ifeelyourpain2 Thu 18-Aug-16 21:24:17

I'm the opposite Downstairs and much prefer free weights for arms and machines for legs, but then that's partly due to a knee injury and I feel the machines give me more stability.

I do love free weights though and see them as much more satisfying to use than the machines strangely.

Perfectlypurple Thu 18-Aug-16 21:26:21

I use both

When I see my personal trainer or am at home I use free weights. When I go to the gym on my own I use machines - simply because I am too self conscious to use free weights on my own.

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Sun 25-Sep-16 12:34:13

Free weights are more effective, for all the reasons LordEmsworth gave.

Perfectlypurple have you tried watching YouTube tutorials? Confidence come more easily when you have done some research on form and what to do/ not to do

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now