Looking for a bit of actual advice

(12 Posts)
AliaMairns Sat 30-May-15 12:32:06

I have two db and a lovely dp who try to help me out but I know men and women lift and respond differently so if any ladies could give me some pointers id greatly appreciate it.

Basically I really enjoy using weights at the gym. Just the machines, no free weights. I want to tone my arms specifically but I also want to be strong.I just move through each machine doing three sets of ten on whichever weight I can do, moving up when I feel I can. I have a protein shake after. I definitely see the difference but am I doing this right? Or is there a more beneficial way I'm missing? smile

Littlepumpkinpie Sat 30-May-15 15:06:47

To get stronger you've got to push more reps per set ideally 15 reps. The set starts for me when I feel that burn push through that pain barrier. I do sets eg lat pull then a seated cable row and a dumbell press in a circuit. Then say face pulls upright barbell row then lateral raises. Then I could do pull ups bench press.all this done in circuits of threes or fours. Hope this has helped in some way.

AliaMairns Sat 30-May-15 15:52:17

That is excellent, thank you. Sometimes I try for 12 so will push myself for 15smile

suzannecanthecan Sat 30-May-15 22:44:05

to increase strength go for heavier weights and lower reps.
A light warm up set and then a few heavier sets using a weight that you can do 6-8 reps with.

suzannecanthecan Sat 30-May-15 22:44:46

if you can do more than 12 reps the weight is too light

Mide7 Sun 31-May-15 02:42:55

Yes as Suzannecan says, low reps (generally 5 or under) with "heavy" weight for strength.

Also while there is nothing wrong with machines, is there any reason why no free weights?

AliaMairns Sun 31-May-15 10:34:59

Just because I don't really know how and don't have the confidence to try. There are plenty available at my gym but they are very male dominated, which is silly and shouldn't put me off but it does. I also have a bit of a back issue which I don't want to irritate by not doing it properlyhmm

Mide7 Sun 31-May-15 11:04:33

I won't comment on the back issue other to say to talk a decent physio, preferrable one with some experience in sport.

I do understand the feeling intimidated but most of the blokes in gyms are too busy looking at themselves in the mirror to to pay anyone else attention grin

AliaMairns Sun 31-May-15 13:55:29

As I was leaving today, the free weights section was empty so I had a good nosy about. There are two machines hidden in there which consist of a sliding bench and you use the bands to pull yourself up ( no idea what they are called. They look interesting so next time I'm there I might ask a train to show me how to use them smilesmile

Vivacia Wed 03-Jun-15 22:08:32

Google "Stronglifts 5x5" and google images for "Stronglifts 5x5 women" smile

Boudicea31 Thu 04-Jun-15 07:45:13

Strong lifts is s great programme although I have found that by following a weightlifting programme of heavy weights 5x5 with heaviest weights poss and mostly compound lifts that my biceps chest calves abd thighs have all got bigger. Whilst this is an achievement I don't look slimmer I haven't lost any inches on waist etc I'd ive not got that athletic but lean look I was really aiming for! I've now incorprTed more WOD cross fit style workouts into the programme to try and maintain muscle development but get leaner at same time (almost impossible I know) btw low reps = strength and high reps = hypertrophy which by tearing the muscles makes them bigger but not necessarily stronger.

Vivacia Thu 04-Jun-15 10:42:10

That's interesting Boudicea, do you mind me asking what dress size you are or what body fat percentage? I ask because compound lifts seem to suck people in like they've been vacuum packed.

I think Stronglifts is a great beginners programme, got me in to good habits and good form. But I agree with you that eventually you hit very slow gains.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now