Reflection where there couldn't be one...

(5 Posts)
SupermanStoleMyPants Thu 04-Aug-16 22:12:05

This happened a couple of months a go but it has been really bugging me.

I live in a small 2 bed flat with Dh and lodger (male). One early evening I was walking up the stairs and realised I could see my reflection in the facing wall at the top. As I got closer I realised the face wasn't mine. It was completely different. Hair type/colour/face shape. It was also just the head/neck of a woman which didn't move or get bigger just clearer to me as I came closer.

To the right of the wall is a small room where we keep our laundry and it has a small window which had the late sun coming through. I thought it could have been the light playing tricks (not sure how). But I retraced my steps several times and nothing was there, and I can't even start to explain how a wall could reflect an image as clear as a mirror....

Any explanations?

orenisthenewblack Fri 05-Aug-16 20:08:36

None sorry, bit that's definitely creepy!

karalime Fri 05-Aug-16 20:16:32

Once I realised I could see blurry trees and houses from outside on the opposite wall, like a old movie projector, even though there was no mirror and the curtains were closed.

Turns out the curtains were open a teeny tiny bit causing an aperture effect - basically how cameras work. The light from outside comes through the tiny hole and is projected upside down.

Perhaps something similar?

SupermanStoleMyPants Fri 05-Aug-16 23:56:24

I really don't think so. The washing room has a very small window which would only shine on the wall opposite the one I was looking at. All the bedroom and bathroom doors were closed so no light from them.

I don't look at the wall as I walk upstairs now blush

Heatherjayne1972 Sat 06-Aug-16 17:34:51

Paredoilia ( spelt wrong ). Our brains are hard wired to make sense out of random shapes. It's why clouds look like ' things' and why people see the Virgin Mary in potatoes
Very common not woo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now