Seriously think I have a ghost.

(15 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Thu 18-Jun-15 22:50:29

And I think it's my recently deceased dog.

Dog died about six weeks ago, was a young dog. I have another dog left and two cats.

About a week ago, me and dd and dog were upstairs. Me on the landing and dd in her bedroom with the door open, talking. The dog was in her bedroom. I very distinctly and clearly heard the noise of a dog charging down the hallway, scrabbling on the wood floor with claws out. Just like both dogs did (one still does). I immediately leaned over the bannister and no sign of anything. Dd came running out her bedroom as she had heard it too. I ran down the stairs into the hallway and then straight into the dining room.

Neither cat was in the house. As I got into the dining room I looked out the patio doors to see if a cat was running down the garden and couldn't see one. But I really don't think it was a cat. It was too heavy for a cat, the cats never scrabble on the wooden floors, I didn't hear the cat flap go which im sure I would have done, it's very loud. There was no sign of a cat in the garden and they can't get out our garden at the sides due to high walls so always run 100ft to the garden end. It's all lawn, no shrubs to hide in and there was no cat. Door to the front room was shut so they hadn't gone in there.

Today I had nearly exactly the same. Sat in the front room with a friend chatting. Heard exactly the same and it sounded like it was coming towards us. Friend said "have you got another dog", my dog was on the sofa with me. I jumped up and straight into the hallway which was empty. Searched the house and no cats in the house. Nobody else in the house at the time.

I'm not imagining it as two other people have heard it.

AnyoneForTennis Fri 19-Jun-15 00:12:40

No such thing as ghosts

Rats exist tho..

imjustahead Fri 19-Jun-15 00:20:17

how very strange, is there anything else going on within the house, or next door like building work or the like?

SurlyCue Fri 19-Jun-15 00:32:42

If i was a ghost dog i wouldnt waste time running about the halls. I'd be eating the other dog's food out of his bowl. No other reason to come back and haunt really is there? grin

But that wont happen, because i am not a dog and ghost dogs dont exist.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 19-Jun-15 06:31:56

It would be a bloody big rat from the sound. grin no building work happening.

Toooldtobearsed Fri 19-Jun-15 06:47:36

I am not woo at all, but about ten years ago we lived in an old Victorian house. The kitchen was a huge kitchen diner with a big fireplace in the dining area.

I was making dinner and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a Jack Russell type dog, in front of the fire, doing the circling bit before they find 'their' spot to lie down? It then flumped down contentedly.

I have never had a small dog, I have big dogs. The previous owner did not have any pets at all.
I was not thinking of dogs, it was there for a couple of seconds, I never saw it again.

No idea....

A couple of years ago, I was talking to my (grown up) children about the old house and said 'I am sure we had a ghostly visitor there you know'
My eldest piped up with 'Oh, you mean the little dog? He was always in front of the fire'!

It was bizarre, neither of us were shocked, frightened or surprised at all by it, we had just both continued as if there was nothing out of the norm about the whole situation.

Can't explain it, just <whispers> wooey!

Toooldtobearsed Fri 19-Jun-15 06:53:27

I actually have another woo story that I will one day start a thread about, but still trying to find a logical explanation before embarrassing myself on here grin

imjustahead Fri 19-Jun-15 08:23:41

love that storysmile

imjustahead Sat 20-Jun-15 10:37:59

anything else op ?

VivaLeBeaver Tue 23-Jun-15 07:40:45

Nothing else. Just those two occasions of very distinct sound of dog running down the hall.

CatthiefKeith Fri 03-Jul-15 22:38:26

No less than five different visitors to my parents old house commented on the little white dog laying in the conservatory.

The non existent little white dog. hmm

Roonerspism Fri 03-Jul-15 22:42:23

Sorry you have lost your dog ����

I'm a bit woo, tis true, so I find your story comforting.

Sweetsecret Wed 08-Jul-15 21:04:37

many people reported seeing a little white dog in my dad's old house. small, white fluffy black face.
about four people saw it, you could hear it running down the stairs and nothing would be there.
Previous owners saw it, as the house had always been in my family since it was built, my dad bought it from his aunt.
Looking back at photos of my nan as a young girl (she grew up in the house) next to her was a little white dog with a black face, it was her childhood dog Nelly.
So I can believe it.

TheReluctantCountess Wed 08-Jul-15 21:08:48

After our old dog was put to sleep, our son, who was about four at the time, kept saying he'd been talking to the dog upstairs.
Our old cat used to visit us too, after he'd died. He was seen many times, by dp and I, sitting in the driveway. Sadly, he died in the driveway.

LeChien Wed 08-Jul-15 21:14:16

Sorry you lost your dog.
I'd find this very comforting, illogical though that may be.
My family lost a very young dog years ago, it was awful, so upsetting. I had dreams about that dog that I found comforting, it felt like I was seeing the dog recovering from its injuries (he was run over) and running happily again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now