Does this even exist?

(5 Posts)
whoppet Wed 23-Nov-16 16:04:47

Dd is 13 and has mild learning difficulties but is very sensible and no behavioural issues. She loves horses and is desperate to ride. We did riding lessons a few years ago but class was huge and she basically had 25 minutes of waiting at the side and 5 minutes of riding instruction. I later found out that some kids there had been on lead reign for three years!

So she has been asking for years to return but also wants to learn to tack and groom.

So I'm looking for a smallish place where someone has time to show her how to tack and groom and ride.

When she was tiny and we lived elsewhere we went to one in Leeds that did exactly this one to one and it was fab but we moved.

Does anyone know anywhere near Manchester that does this please?

Moanranger Thu 24-Nov-16 02:36:13

Check with riding organisations. The Pony Club registers centres, so you don't have to have your own pony, where your DD can go, they give badges, like the scouts. I live in the South, but I imagine there would be one or more PC centres in/around Manchester.
Look up riding schools, either through the British Horse Society, or the local council. All riding schools must be licensed. You will have to visit & see what you think, but web-sites should also give you a clue as to whether they are child-oriented.
What you are looking for should not be too difficult to find. Good luck!

mrslaughan Thu 24-Nov-16 21:40:08

You should be able to find that, maybe say the area, and someone maybe able to make suggestions in your area.

kittykarate Fri 25-Nov-16 13:43:52

I'm not sure if it's what you are looking for (or even which side of Manchester you're on) but Bank Farm in Poynton do 'own a pony' days in the school holidays which is a mixture of supervised horse care on an assigned horse, games and riding.

I can always tell when the day has been on because there are loads of oppressed looking ponies with wonky braids. grin

abbijay Wed 30-Nov-16 15:44:41

Have you considered contacting Riding for the Disabled? They work with learning disabilities too and have teachers with an understanding of your daughters condition who can make lessons fun for her but still very progressive. Many will offer stable management too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now