Tell me the connie will be fine tonight rugless

(16 Posts)
bandito Tue 01-Nov-16 19:52:20

I've just got in from work. DH has watered and checked Dhorse but doesn't put on rugs yet (in training!). He's (horse, that is) has been rugless all day and some nights when the forecast is for dry weather. I've just checked and it's due to be 4 degrees, dry and clear here. He's got a full winter coat and has only ever worn a rain sheet but I thought under about 5 degrees I'd probably need to rug him. He's a bit fat and my instinct is to leave him without also I am lazy. He's not got a shelter. What do you think?

IsItTimeForGinYet Tue 01-Nov-16 20:25:33

He will be absolutely fine. Don't worry!

bandito Tue 01-Nov-16 20:41:10

Thank you, my instinct is he will be fine and better off even as he's been warm under the sheet some mornings but I am feeling the peer pressure a bit as all but one are rugged up now. It feels like not putting a proper coat on your kid and letting them play out!

DraughtyWindow Wed 02-Nov-16 13:36:40

He's a native and not clipped so his body fat will keep him warm. As long as he's got grass/hay he'll be fine :-)

LittlePear91 Wed 02-Nov-16 13:53:42

He'll be fine! If he hasn't been rugged so far even just this year then his winter coat will come in enough.

A forecast for driving rain/hail/snow would make me feel differently but if he's unlikely to get soaked through, don't worry about it!

And how cute do they look with a hairy winter coat!! smile

Garthmarenghi Wed 02-Nov-16 14:24:52

God yes. Mine would be ripping a rug to pieces unless it's raining.

RatherBeRiding Thu 03-Nov-16 17:21:48

He'll be fine. My native has lived out all his life until this winter rugless and unclipped even in horrendous weather - although he did have access to a field shelter and plenty to eat.

bandito Thu 03-Nov-16 18:11:45

Thanks all, it's his last night out tonight as the farmer wants all the liveries in for the winter at night now. Never done a winter before and hating it already!

Garthmarenghi Thu 03-Nov-16 18:13:40

Once he's in you'll get into the swing of it. Deep straw bed and large (soaked?) haynet. Hope he's going to be allowed to be out for a good chunk of time during the day.

Floralnomad Thu 03-Nov-16 18:15:35

Nothing better than putting your horse to bed in the winter all cosy and warm.

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Thu 03-Nov-16 18:17:05

shock

It is raining and jeffing cold here.

Moany TB is in with two rugs on.

He is clipped though.

Seriously, he'll be fine.

bandito Fri 04-Nov-16 19:11:22

He made the most of his last evening out today. I got him in at about 6pm and he was soaked on the outside layer of coat from the day's rain and completely covered in mud where he'd had a good old roll. If I get my way, I'll continue to do him and now turn out at 6am Garthmarenghi and come in between 5-6pm. He'll have to do that as I am at work so can't be turning out at 10am and getting in at 3 or whatever some of the others want to do. I am hoping that the yard manager is going to be OK with this. I'd hate to have to pay someone else to give him less turnout. Lose lose.

Floralnomad Fri 04-Nov-16 19:30:58

The problem is if everyone else comes in early he may well run up and down churning up the field and getting himself in a state .

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Fri 04-Nov-16 20:09:54

We can't leave one out alone. It's a bloody nightmare already as have a river to cross and if it has rained heavily it's over wellies.

ExConstance Tue 15-Nov-16 10:34:44

My old Highland never had a rug, the snow would settle on his back and not melt for ages as his coat was so thick and protective. HI back was so broad and flat he generally was carrying around a few twigs as he went. He had the end of the barn partitioned off as a shelter , he knocked himself a little window in the back by removing planks to see the horse next door. Miss him.

Littlegreyauditor Tue 15-Nov-16 21:00:20

This thread made me smile. My Connie viewed rugs as a personal insult, and if one was applied in anything other than minus temperatures would shred the rug and liberally apply 17 layers of mud and shit. One memorable winter he burned through 5 turnout rugs. As you said, he was fine and likely delighted to prove his "mountain horse" credentials to the thin skinned lesser mortals. grin

God I miss my fat wee monster.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now