New horse and water

(11 Posts)
BabyHorsey5 Fri 30-Sep-16 01:03:33

Hey, Ok so I am going for a hack soon Pleease does someone have any tips to stop my horse following the other horses into the water. I don't know if she is going to follow or not I have only had her about 6 months, sometimes she is good other times she thinks "Fuck you I am doing what I want" type thing and won't listen to anything I do ( Not a very good rider, still trying to learn ) Thank you for any help.

She is such a cheeky stubborn horse at times! smile

AdaLovelacesCat Fri 30-Sep-16 01:14:07

if you are out on a hack with several other horses and you are not a very good rider, it is going to be hard to stop her following them.

ARe you worried that she will go down in the water? or is there some other reason why you do not want to go in?

ProseccoBitch Fri 30-Sep-16 10:30:54

What water? Do you mean crossing a ford or something? Why don't you want to go in?

IceIceIce Fri 30-Sep-16 11:15:25

How do you try to tell her not to? Describe what you do as a rider to try to stop this.

RatherBeRiding Fri 30-Sep-16 14:08:06

What water exactly? If you have to cross a stream then surely you all have to cross it?

GizmoFrisby Fri 30-Sep-16 14:16:34

Are you hacking alone or as a group? She will automatically want to follow the other horses. If you don't want her copying bad habits it's best to hack alone, she's going to wonder why she's being separated and if your not a good rider a possible mareish hissyfit and a possible buck. Are you a competent rider? Or are you scared of her entering the water?

BabyHorsey5 Tue 04-Oct-16 20:49:39

We went on the Hack yesterday and it went ok, I did end up taking her in the water and it went pretty much ok.
Love - I am still worried about her going down in the water...heard so many horrible stories about the horse rolling in the water and the rider has to throw themselves free or the horse spooks and runs into the middle of the water...
Gizmo - Hack as a group not that brave to try it on my own yet, I haven't had her for that long but yes she does have a proper tantrum if a horse leaves the group for a while for whatever reason. I know the basics, still trying to figure it out. and yes I am very worried about her entering the water.
It's just a very small lake and they walk along the edge, there isn't any need to go into it really.
Ice - I don't know, that's what I was wondering if there was a way to get her not to follow, I would try to turn her away or hold her back I guess if I really didn't want her to do something but I don't know a proper way of doing it.

clareynich Tue 04-Oct-16 21:07:54

There's never a reason not to go into water! I'm awful I walk through every puddle, stream, pond I can! I love water, is your horse sensible? I will assume since you are a novice and you are hacking with others you have experienced riders with you. Listen to their advice. I'm a catious rider but if your company is sensible and it's safe and controlled do it. 👍🏻

IsItTimeForGinYet Thu 06-Oct-16 19:23:15

Keep her moving. They usually stop and start pawing the ground and then get a bit wriggly if they are thinking of going down and have a roll so kick her on and encourage movement if that happens.

Booboostwo Thu 06-Oct-16 20:06:12

I don't mean this nastily, I am saying it because horse riding is a very dangerous sport and sometimes people underestimate its risks: it might be more prudent to get some lessons, especially with a new horse, to establish a bit more control before you go hacking. You should be able to stir her where you want her to go (within reason, asking a horse to walk completely away from other horses can be a big ask for many of them), get her to move on so she doesn't have a chance to roll (which can happen but is rather rare, why are you so worried about this?). Do you feel in control when trotting and cantering?

GizmoFrisby Fri 07-Oct-16 07:22:49

Booboostwo I totally agree. We've had horses all our lives and between us as a family have had some hellish accidents. Some to laugh back at but some hospital jobbies! If you don't feel in control the horse will sense your nervous making things worse. I've never understood the fascination with having a horse. I do believe it has become a slight fashion statement with a lot of people who don't understand the hard work that goes in to keeping a horse. we were born into it as children and spent every day after school and weekends day mucking out stables and jumping for fun when we were younger. And of course pony club! I think the op has a lot to learn when it comes to horses possibly. Don't mean that to sound bitchy but there is a lot more to it than you may realise. Lessons is a great idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now