What shaving are the best?

(7 Posts)
shazytdelight Thu 22-Sep-16 15:20:57

I have recently moved to a new livery yard that doesn't allow straw beds as its too messy. That's fine I'm ok with shavings but just wondering if anyone can give some input from their tried and tested??
Currently using bedmax but I'm not convinced.! Have just bought comfy bed plus as it was on offer and thought I'd give that a go??
Also don't have rubber matting as of yet but have some on the way!

lastqueenofscotland Thu 22-Sep-16 20:33:07

Bedmax is the best as tradition shavings go.
I really like wood pellets

Butkin1 Fri 23-Sep-16 14:10:59

Depends on what style of shavings you like. If you like the smaller, softer chippings then Hunter are very good. If you like the mid size ones then we've used Bedmax and they are always reliable as are Blue Frog. However we find the bigger flakes - which look like shaved off flakes rather than chippings - suit us well. We buy bags of unbranded, dust free ones from our supplier and find they are much easier to muck out. Granted they probably don't have the absorbancy of something like Bedmax but they fit well onto the savings forks and the horses seem to like them.

ProseccoBitch Fri 23-Sep-16 16:26:06

I love Bedmax, I wouldn't use anything else shavings-wise. I like the big flakes, so much easier to muck out.

SilkScarf Fri 23-Sep-16 17:33:18

Some at our yard use shavings straight from the wood saw mills. It seems to work well for nearly next to no cost. Would try them myself tbh but the mills in our area are only open during the week whilst I'm at work. I only use minimal bedding on rubber mats. If I were to put in a whole pack it would all have to come out the same day in any event. Wish she was a bit cleaner..

DraughtyWindow Sun 25-Sep-16 10:06:24

Try wood pellets like Aquamax or Verdo where they wet, and then shavings/Bedmax everywhere else and on top of the pellet layer. The wood pellets don't move about and means you don't have to take the wet out every day. It doesn't smell either. I also use Royal Span. Sounds complicated but it's not, as you end up chucking out far less bedding meaning it's much more cost effective and labour saving! And you don't go home smelling of horse wee. Always a bonus. grin

Biggles398 Mon 26-Sep-16 18:53:21

I liked Bedmax, but they weren't absorbent enough for me. Hunters are ok, but I prefer the other ones they make - Megaspread I think they're called - they seem to go further than hunters.
I've also got one on Bedsoft (pink), which is brilliant - I skip out every day and remove the wet once every 10 days in winter, once every 6 weeks in summer (when she's out at night, in during the day).
Wood pellets didn't work for me / the horse I tried them on - maybe it was the horse as opposed to the pellets though..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now