AIBU to want to report

(27 Posts)
ConcernedAnon Sun 18-Sep-16 18:21:58

NC because I don't trust the woman and don't want identifying.

There is a woman near me who decided this summer to open up a riding school.

Firstly, the woman who runs it cannot handle or school her horses. She admits this herself. Most of her horses are young (most if not all are under 5).

She buys cheap youngsters for the school. She is putting beginners and children on these horses. (Horses she admits she is too scared to ride herself. Just the other day she wouldnt canter one in open space and got someone else to). Most of these kids have non horsey parents so have no idea. I think she is under the impression that the horses will get their schooling from the lessons.

I happen to know the person she buys them off and i don't think I've ever seen one come off him that wasn't neglected or diseased in some way (I know her neighbours are annoyed about this as she knows them too and is worried about her horses being in contact over the fence. They are not isolated at all on arrival).
The neighbour also knows who she buys from and is extra worried because she had to deal with a pony a friend of hers bought from them who had bastard strangles. They are the lowest of low end dealers.

None of them have any qualifications whatsoever. One woman they have teaching occasionally for them is very capable but she is the only one who has half a clue and she has refused to teach on occasion (example when the owner wanted to go ahead with a jumping lesson using youngsters on ground that was as slippery as an ice rink due to bad weather (no suitable riding area).

More than one of them are prone to kicking out quite nastily (have witnessed some myself.) One of them who isn't used in the school but is left with children is an absolute nervous wreck. This horse spooks spectacularly at such things as changing a headcollar or a rope dropping to the floor.

Then there's the fact she has way too many horses for the land she has. I will be highly surprised if she can feed them through the winter as their grass situation has been poor all summer simply due to over grazing).

I can't see her being able to keep them going on 3 liveries money (I imagine they will leave when they can't provide grazing) and I can't see her current customers being happy to do nothing but walk (you really can't do much more on that ground when it gets wet).

The whole thing just seems like it's going to end in a nasty accident or a welfare situation. Even if I'm wrong and she can see them comfortably through winter the other stuff is surely not acceptable?

I don't know if you need some sort of license to run a riding school or insurance but I really feel someone needs to look into this as I am terrified for her unsuspecting customers.

it's not uncommon for as many as 12 (more recently 8) to be in a small section of fenced off grazing. Maybe a quarter - a third of an acre.

Am I being unreasonable here? If not who can look into this situation? I feel really bad for their kids because their children are lovely. One of them I particularly have a soft spot for but she is constantly put in frankly dangerous situations. It is sheer dumb luck that that girl has not been hurt and I don't want to see it happen to her.

Advice appreciated and if I am being unreasonable I won't be offended if I'm told to keep my nose out. I'm just genuinely concerned.

FadedRed Sun 18-Sep-16 18:45:02

Sound like an awful situation. Who would you report to? Local council, HSE, Trading Standards? Someone ought to be looking at this for the sake of the children and their safety.

ConcernedAnon Sun 18-Sep-16 19:08:39

I'm hoping someone will give me some ideas. I did email to local council but had to follow up several times to be told it would be "passed on" and heard nothing since.

SnoozyMcsnoozy Sun 18-Sep-16 19:22:54

I just searched on the BHS website thinking they maybe helpful, and it says they can only get involved if you they are registered with the bhs, could try reporting it to them if they are bhs registered. If not, it said on their website says its down to the local authority to inspect.

ConcernedAnon Sun 18-Sep-16 19:26:40

They're definitely not BHS registered.

It just beggars belief that someone who can't ride or handle horses can be responsible for children learning to ride or handle them. I'm convinced something is going to go horribly wrong.

mrslaughan Sun 18-Sep-16 19:29:36

I think the council is where I would start. A livery yard and riding school I used to go to I know was inspected every year. There were quite stringent rules (esp around welfare) that they had to comply with. Also to do with training of staff and I wouldn't be surprised if there are requirements around insurance.

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Sun 18-Sep-16 19:30:26

Rspca? Keep a diary and report her.

TrionicLettuce Sun 18-Sep-16 19:31:23

Riding schools do need to be licensed by their local council so I'd keep on badgering them until they do something.

Having a read of this page on the gov.uk website it doesn't sound like she meets the requirements at all.

I'm not sure what you can do beyond pestering them to get some kind of action though.

SnoozyMcsnoozy Sun 18-Sep-16 19:33:19

Just found the government page about riding school licences here Under the requirements bit it says that they have to prove they have suitable qualifications and experience in horse management, is there any of the requirements you could specifically reports them for breaching?

thenightsky Sun 18-Sep-16 19:33:29

If she is teaching children I should imagine she will need to be DBS checked. Perhaps that is route to bringing her to the attention of the authorities?

ConcernedAnon Sun 18-Sep-16 19:56:54

OK so I'm fairly sure she's not had any inspections. I can't be 100% as obviously no one else is there with them all the time.

They definitely don't have qualifications.

"Suitable for hiring out for riding" I'd say no because of their age and the fact that most need a lot of good handling and schooling. Some of them look too young to be ridden although she claims/believes they are older. Physically they look OK. I suppose it depends what they class as fit to be ridden. I wouldn't put my kids on any and I wouldn't get on most of them myself bar one.

They're fed at the minute. Water they do take water down and I've never seen them go thirsty. I don't know about farriers or dentists or worming.

The DBS check is a good point. I never thought of that.

AnxiousCarer Sun 18-Sep-16 20:14:04

I'm pretty sure its ilegal to use an animal under 5 years old in a riding school. To operate she should have a liscence from the local authority and they should inspect each school animal and their tack as well as the facilities, including hats provided for the children, accident book etc. I would carry on with nagging the council about it.

ConcernedAnon Sun 18-Sep-16 21:01:54

Anxious - From my reading under 3 is definitely a no go. I think I will pester the council more for the right authority to contact. I'm going to draft an email and will pop it in here before I send to see what you think x

ConcernedAnon Sun 18-Sep-16 21:25:48

And also vet care can't be top of her priority list. She has a miniature Shetland and since at least February she has been asking people if she thinks the mare is pregnant.

She is still asking on Facebook she asked last week. (She's had it over a year now and never run her with a stallion).

Surely you'd just get the vet to check.

PoshPenny Mon 19-Sep-16 13:24:32

I'd just phone up the council - ask who is the right person to speak to about licensing a riding school and way you should eventually find the right person to speak to. Emails can get lost in the system

Montalf Wed 21-Sep-16 18:13:02

I haven't taught for a while but I am pretty sure you still need a licence from the council to run a riding school and that used to entail an inspection and the horses individually vetted.
The facilities are inspected and usually a qualified person is named on the licence, and legally you must have insurance.
www.gov.uk/riding-establishment-licence
Have a look there, you can enter the postcode and it should give you the right authority where a licence should have been granted from.

Gabilan Wed 21-Sep-16 19:10:26

It's been a while since I taught but back when I was around for inspections I think you couldn't be licensed using a horse under 4. I'd be amazed if she's insured. I'd write to your local MP and cc the council. Detail the contact with the council and that she is an accident waiting to happen. Even good, safe, careful riders can have horrific accidents so it's not exaggerating to say a child could die under her care. But I think the council need the threat of this blowing up in their face and adverse publicity/ expense for them if a child is seriously injured and it emerges that they knew and could have done something.

I didn't ever need a security check, probably because I was never left in sole charge of the children but that may have changed.

ConcernedAnon Tue 25-Oct-16 11:54:54

Thought I'd update.

a report has gone in today and the council woman said no one is registered in our area.

There was one horse in particular a few of us were convinced is only 2 years old. it turns out someone I know actually owned this horse. it is 2 and a half and is ridden by beginner children (on and off lead rein too) and being jumped and doing pole work.

they seemed keen to get on it after I told them what's been going on anyway.

cauliflowercheese14 Wed 26-Oct-16 19:56:01

I think you've done exactly the right thing. The quite small riding school I go to has all manner of certificates and information displayed in the admin office including Local Authority license, insurance, date of vet visits, staff qualifications. I hope they close her down before any child gets injured.

BeBopTalulah Wed 26-Oct-16 20:05:12

The parents of the kids who are being subjected to these risks are paying for a trained professional to safely help their children ride SAFE horses which are 'fit for purpose'. It may be tenuous, but is there a possibility that this is false advertising/a trading standards issue? If the parents have no idea about how green the horses are, are they getting what they've paid for? May be barking up the wrong tree here.

ConcernedAnon Wed 26-Oct-16 20:47:39

Well. I'm glad I reported them now. The council got on it pretty much as soon as they got off the phone to me.

They are mad as hell and apparently think it's acceptable to send the woman's sisters rather large husband to attack a woman (and I'd have no chance against him he's massive and I don't even weigh 8 stone).

absolute animals like that shouldn't be near children.

ConcernedAnon Wed 26-Oct-16 20:48:50

he didn't get near me btw. landladys husband had to restrain him to stop him going for me and he shoved him back into his van lol.

cauliflowercheese14 Wed 26-Oct-16 23:51:48

I'd be reporting that to the police if I were you. How did they know it was you?

ConcernedAnon Thu 27-Oct-16 01:20:29

I did ring the police.

She thinks I've done it because she was being a twat at the weekend and pissed me off. But I'm not really bothered what she thinks. this thread is proof that I've not just made it up over one weekend.

anyway she rang my landlady and told her she'd been contacted and she knew it was me. which she didn't at that point she was just assuming coz of this weekend - she basically lied and claimed I blocked her? I asked her if she needed me to move my car and she said no and I went out with my horses for about an hour. she claims I purposely took the horses out so she couldn't ask me to move stuff. because I never take my horses out.
she's right it is he first time I've taken them out. i have a 3 year old and a 2 year old. the 2 year old was an unhandled underweight nervoud wreck when i got him why in the hell would i want to take a nervous horse that needs confidence in people straight out onto a main road? i couldnt take tge 3 year old and leave the 2 year old alone cause hed run himself into a blind panic and go through a fence. Hes much more confident now so id planned to take them both out for a walk. Sunday is the best day for me to do that as any other days it's play it by ear.

I got to my horses and her and her sister wouldn't stop staring at me. like just stood staring at me over the fence for AGES. and I KNOW I should've ignored it. but I'm a dick. and I pretended to be taking photos as I drove past. I know I shouldn't have. But this damned 2 year old thing has been driving me nuts since it arrived and I'm so relieved to have other people say it's not on and someone at the council actually take me seriously. I just did and they just flipped. I genuinely didn't expect them to go this mad. I'm a twat I know I am but tbf I think if I made them blow up that easily theyve got to be doing something dodgy or else you'd carry on cause if the council find they're all legit I'll just look a twat won't I.

They accused me of taking pictures of kids (I hadnt) they threatened me there was one of he sisters and her grown adult daughter screaming and at me. some poor kid hey dragged with them crying everytime his mother screamed more. it was ridiculous.

they actually called me a paedophile at one point.

anyway they she'd so I just thought fuck it. I told her I'd reported her and I told her exactly why I'd reported her.

she denied that he horse is 2. the daughter asked if I had his birth certificate (yes really). I did say I could go at send fetch his papers and microchip details.

then she claimed hes never been ridden she put pictures of him being ridden by clients on Facebook herself

then went back to denying he's 2 he's 4 so he's allowed to be ridden.

Then her husband arrived and got out his van lunging for me like one sort of animal. so landladys husband grabbed him and pushed him against his van and back into it.

the police came and weren't impressed. I have one of them on video screaming at me.

She tried to cracking on that I'm wrong and it's in her husbands name etc but when I rang the council and gave them the area they said no one's licensed in the area.

and from what I've been told he's known to the police and has a record of violence (no idea how true that is but after the way he went at me it wouldn't surpriseven me).

ConcernedAnon Thu 27-Oct-16 02:05:42

incase anyone was wondering about the timing. I was talking to my friend about her being a dick at the weekend.

I showed her the one Ive been saying for the last few months that horse is not in a million years 4 years old it is no older than 3. She was like OMG I used to own that horse. he's 2 and a half now.

it's 100% the same horse and she has a copy of the passport application form her vet did and microchip details. she has videos and pictures of him from every angle. it's the same horse and its 2 and a half years old. so I got on our the council the next day cause I really don't agree with it.

she can think I did it because she upset me but in reality her being a dick just led to me getting proof that I'm right.

she also blocked the horses previous owner within minutes when previous owner tagged her in pictures of him... where it said he was a yearling.. just over a year ago. so it's not like this information is being randomly dreamt up its in black and white.

Anecdotally also, I've known the horses previous owner for 11 years. I've never known her give a horses get and a vet or dentist give a different one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now