Lame

(8 Posts)
thetemptationofchocolate Thu 15-Sep-16 10:20:31

My pony is lame. He was not lame last night but he is lame this morning. I can't find any heat in the hoof, or in his leg, there are no obvious lumps or bumps and it is one leg only. I could feel heat in his shoulder.
He can put weight on it but is obviously uncomfortable.
I'm quite used to dealing with lameness when it's in the limb, or feet (my first thought is always 'bet it's an abscess') but further up I am at a loss. I've had to come to work but OH is at home so I could get the vet out to see the pony but just wanted to ask would you call the vet in this situation or would you wait a day or so to see if he improves on his own?

I know you say there's no heat in his leg but it might be worth a few sessions of cold hosing just in case. Has the farrier been out recently? I'd probably put him out in a small paddock so he can move about a bit but call the vet tomorrow if there's no improvement - apart from anything else vet's fees are more expensive at the weekend.......

Rollingdinosaur Thu 15-Sep-16 20:35:54

If he is hopping lame I would get the vet straight away, but otherwise I would usually give it a day or two to see if it improves on its own.

thetemptationofchocolate Fri 16-Sep-16 08:53:00

Thank you both. He can walk and bear weight on it but it's uncomfortable.
I kept him in last night and he's out on a small patch today so he can't go too far but can still potter about. He last saw the farrier at the beginning of August so it's not the trim that's set this off (he doesn't have shoes on).
I examined him yesterday and there is one small place where when I touch it he flinches, and will shift the lame leg. It's between the point of his shoulder and the top of his leg. He didn't react in any other place. I really think he has pulled a muscle there as there isn't a lot else in that area but muscles, and he could have done it so easily, maybe getting up, or playing. Cold treatment is a good idea also.
Fortunately our vet never minds if I ring up and ask questions, so will do that later when their morning surgery is over.
Thanks again.

mrslaughan Sat 17-Sep-16 08:43:05

What's the ground like where you are? Because up to yesterday it was rick hard here - since he is unshod, could he be footsore?

mrslaughan Sat 17-Sep-16 08:43:32

What's the ground like where you are? Because up to yesterday it was rick hard here - since he is unshod, could he be footsore?

Rollingdinosaur Sat 17-Sep-16 10:55:52

What did the vet say?

thetemptationofchocolate Sat 17-Sep-16 13:31:16

Our ground is definitely not rock hard! Slippery and muddy in places is more like it smile. We've had a fair amount of rain recently.
The vet also thinks he has wrenched a muscle* - he could have done it while he was charging about, or even while getting up, if his foot slipped while he was doing that. She has given me some Bute to see if that will make a difference, I only got that this morning so he hasn't had any yet but he does look a little better today anyway.

*it's the muscle that flexes the elbow which would fit with the way he is walking atm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now