long shot anybody selling a 16 hand horse

(14 Posts)
qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Mon 05-Sep-16 23:02:10

??

Blackberryandapplejam Tue 06-Sep-16 10:28:14

mare, gelding? Youngster, veteran?

Butkin Tue 06-Sep-16 10:37:21

Why would this be a long shot when there are hundreds of 16 hand horses for sale on the various selling websites? What do you need to know?

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Tue 06-Sep-16 16:17:03

8 to 12 year old
Don't mind mare or gelding
For a tall 14 year old who has ridden ffor 6 years
Just be able to jump

Biggles398 Mon 12-Sep-16 19:05:29

Agree this is an odd post for Mumsnet.
Try your local(ish) horsey FB sites, there are shed loads of 16h for sale at the moment.
If you don't see anything within a couple of weeks, put out a "Wanted" advert stating what you want / don't want.
Same on preloved

Bumpk1n Mon 12-Sep-16 19:28:23

Have you not looked on the usual websites like horsemart and horse and hound.
How tall is your child?

lastqueenofscotland Thu 15-Sep-16 22:30:01

I'd contact your local pony club. What you are asking for will cover a range from cobs and plods to ex racehorses finely tuned competition horses,

Does it need to hack nicely, does it need to be suitable for a novicey rider, will it have to be able to keep a lid on it at PC rally's, how much jumping does t need to have done - seen coloured poles or bsja with winnings... Etc

Booboostwo Fri 16-Sep-16 11:43:28

What a weird request! Have you owned horses before? Do you know what you are doing when trying to buy one?

Horse shopping lists concentrate on the abilities of the horse, e.g. all-rounder, good hack, competition horse and the attributes it needs to have for the job, e.g. easy to handle, good with farrier, etc. Most people specify a height range rather than a specific height, i.e. I can't imagine why it MUST be a 16hh and why a 15.3hh or a 16.1hh won't do as well.

Doubt we'll ever see the OP again though.

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Fri 16-Sep-16 12:42:51

Was there really any need for that comment !

Gabilan Fri 16-Sep-16 18:01:56

I took it as read that the original "16hh" meant around that height, not precisely that height. After all some 15.2s have deep barrels and plenty of leg room whereas some 16.2s are narrow and feel like you're balancing on a razor's edge. And whilst no, it's not a long shot that someone, somewhere is selling a 16hh horse, it's a long shot that someone on here might be.

Perhaps people could just help the OP rather than berate her? OP I think the pony club would be your best bet. I think the best PC ponies/ horses go by word of mouth without really needing to be advertised. You could try Horses4Homes as well.

Booboostwo Sat 17-Sep-16 19:50:18

I have to admit OP that I didn't think you were serious and you do not come across as having put a lot of thought into this. If you are serious, I apologise but my questions stand. Have you owned a horse before and if not is there anyone around who can help you? What does your DC want to do with the horse? Does your DC have an instructor? She is the best person to help you with the purchase.

There are loads of horses for sale, Horsequest, Horsemart, Horse and Hound, local PC and RC, etc. the difficulty is finding a good one. The bottom has fallen out of the horse market so you should be able to get more for your money but at the same time there are even more people than ever before trying to get rid of unsuitable horses.

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Sat 17-Sep-16 21:08:57

Yes owned a horse begore thank you. Always had them by word of mouth etc this time no word of mouth and a bit nervous

Booboostwo Sat 17-Sep-16 23:38:28

You are right to be nervous, it's a minefield out there.

Write down a list of what you want to do with the horse, so 'Jumping' is not sufficient, what kind and at what level, a horse that can do a clear round is different from an all rounder that can compete unaffiliated, to an affiliated competition horse. Think of other things like hacking alone/in company, good in traffic/open spaces, level of flatwork, easy to handle, etc. Then look for adverts that fit the bill. Call and ask all questions under the sun and if the answers are decent go view with your DCs instructor. It is crucial you get help from an instructor as judging a horse in one viewing is quite a skill. A vetting is also crucial if you find a horse you like. Ideally you want a horse that is doing the job you want but has been outgrown or owner is off to Uni or similar plausible reason as to why a caring, private owner would be look to sell their nice horse.

You may want to put a wanted add, you'll probably be inundated with replies but you'll need to be less laconic than you are being on this thread.

bouncydog Sun 18-Sep-16 15:28:06

Of course if your daughter is only 14 buying her something over 14 2 will preclude her being able to compete against her age group and she will have to compete in adult classes in a lot of events.

That shouldn't be a problem if she is competent but might be a bit lonely if there are no other's of her age group around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now