Ideas for a 12 year old boy who loves riding…...

(11 Posts)
NotdeadyetBOING Thu 28-Jul-16 09:26:40

DS really likes riding and has done a reasonable amount (can canter, do small jumps etc.). Doesn't have own pony or anything so not that experienced. I would like to find a residential camp for him (weekend or week long?) where he can ride and do stable management/look after his own pony etc. But my worry is that most of these places are full of girls and I don't want him put off and thinking that riding 'isn't cool for boys' IYKWIM.

SO - wondered if anyone had any advice on places that typically have a decent gender mix and are good fun. We are London based so something within a couple of hour's drive would be perfect.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Thu 28-Jul-16 11:42:29

Wellington in Hampshire do fantastic riding holidays for children - dd's just come back from her fourth year there in a row

Most of the weeks are girls only but they do have a couple of weeks in the summer when they take boys too - this is so they can 'bunch up' the numbers of boys in those weeks so they're not on their own

It would be worth calling them and asking how many boys (and what ages) they've had this year (they're fully booked for this summer but you could do your research for next year)

NotdeadyetBOING Thu 28-Jul-16 11:49:35

That is really helpful, noitsnottimeyet. Huge thanks. I'll do just that. Was thinking about next spring or summer.

wigglybeezer Thu 28-Jul-16 11:57:46

I can't help with suggestions as I am in Scotland but Ds3 ( who is also 12) is on a week long day camp this week learning to play polocrosse. It seems to attract more than the usual number of boys, however it has to be said we are lucky as our local centre has a male instructor ( who is quite funny) who has teenage sons who ride and this seems to help make boys feel at home, DS3 has always had at least one other boy, usually two in his class.

My tip, look out for polocrosse camps ( possibly at a riding school that is also a pony club centre).

lastqueenofscotland Fri 29-Jul-16 10:34:42

Would also recommend Wellington - amazing facilities

NotdeadyetBOING Fri 29-Jul-16 13:05:01

Polocrosse sounds interesting…. Will investigate. And thanks for another vote for Wellington. Have emailed them asking for next year's dates. It looks fabulous and isn't too far so could do residential or not. Any view on which is more fun for the children? Do most do residential or is it more 50/50?

britnay Fri 29-Jul-16 13:26:56

Residential! They'll have more time to bond and get up to mischief ;) I think otherwise he might feel a bit left out.

NotdeadyetBOING Fri 29-Jul-16 13:31:05

That's helpful. I bet he will say he'd rather come home, but in reality would have more fun on a residential…..

YorkieDorkie Fri 29-Jul-16 13:37:06

Pony Club does a residential camp each year but you need your own pony - having said that, there are also Pony Club centres around the country more like a riding school. You could see if there's one near you that also does a residential.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Sat 30-Jul-16 07:43:59

Definitely residential - dd was 10 the first time she went and she'd never been away from home on her own before. She was a bit nervous beforehand but the staff were lovely and reassuring - they got in touch that evening to let me know she'd settled in well and the next day to let me know how she was. She had a blast, so much so that she immediately started planning her next trip smile

TaLLyHOnellie Sat 20-Aug-16 19:29:28

My son did Pony camp this year for the first time. He is 9yrs.

Was the only boy on that particular week but he wasn't too bothered. There are other boys in our school so if he is still as keen next summer I am going to try and get the same week and will start saving now for it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now