Where to find a rider?

(17 Posts)
Sychnant Thu 02-Jun-16 16:30:37

I have 3 horses in work, and could do with some help. I wouldn't be averse to paying if I could find the right person!

But where on earth do I look? I need someone who knows what they are doing as mine are not plods. I don't want a teen who I have to drive back home. I just want someone who can ride to a decent standard and will turn up when they have said they will!

Any ideas welcomed!

AcornToOak Thu 02-Jun-16 16:36:24

Ask at your local tack shops? Or a local horse page on Facebook?

Sychnant Thu 02-Jun-16 16:42:57

We don't really have a local tack shop, really are in the sticks!

I wondered about FB. Will I get loads of teenagers with more attitude than experience? :D Might well give it a try, thanks smile

ohnoppp Thu 02-Jun-16 16:45:18

Try posting in a riding school page on facebook if you part loan they might pay you

Wolfiefan Thu 02-Jun-16 16:46:07

Know any local instructors?

AcornToOak Thu 02-Jun-16 17:03:34

You probably will get lots of teenagers message you however you might find someone that is perfect, I personally would only get someone that comes with references that I could check up on though

Blondie1984 Thu 02-Jun-16 17:28:36

A friend of mine found someone to help with her horse on a website called Preloved.
A few things she did to cover her back were to agree a one month trial period, make the other person take out personal liability insurance and ask a few people who she trusted at the yard to keep an eye on her and give their feedback - all seems to be going pretty well so far

Sychnant Thu 02-Jun-16 17:28:58

I really don't want paying, just someone to help exercise smile I've asked a couple of instructors too but no joy.

Good point about the references, definitely something to remember! Looks like I'll be posting on a couple of FB pages tonight and see how it goes smile

Thanks all smile

Sychnant Thu 02-Jun-16 17:30:21

Ooh, why didn't I think of Preloved, have sold loads on there recently! Trial and Personal Insurance are a must. No one else to keep an eye as my lot are at home, but they would be hacking out with me so no worries there smile

HidingFromDD Thu 02-Jun-16 18:02:55

What area are you in? Dd1 was working at a riding school that's recently closed. She's a student though so only available June-sept really.

Sychnant Thu 02-Jun-16 20:07:02

I'm about 15 miles west of Oswestry, over the border into Powys smile June - Sept would be fine by me smile

hollinhurst84 Thu 02-Jun-16 21:08:55

Any local equestrian colleges? Word of mouth. They are out there, I part loan a horse that's at medium level smile and have done for 5 years now

HidingFromDD Thu 02-Jun-16 21:19:31

Ah, too far really. You may well be able to find students who could do that though, I know a couple of DD's friends have had to put horses out on loan while they study and would be glad of the chance to ride again. Not sure how you'd find them though - possibly advert in the local tack shops?

HidingFromDD Thu 02-Jun-16 21:22:36

Also try local riding schools to see if any of there 'casual' employees (which is what DD1 was) who would be able to help out (and yes - I've reported my post which had her name in - oops)

Sychnant Thu 02-Jun-16 21:29:19

I'm going to the most local place for dressage on saturday so might ask a few questions while I'm there smile Shame your DD is too far away, hope she can find something closer to home smile

Wolfiefan Thu 02-Jun-16 21:30:59

Any equestrian colleges (like Hartpury in Glos)?

Gabilan Fri 03-Jun-16 18:25:08

Not sure how you'd find them though - possibly advert in the local tack shops?

Or ask at university riding clubs. Uni students disperse pretty widely in the summer but maybe start with Birmingham and Bangor. You'd get a decent standard of rider.

I'm out in the sticks but there are good freelancers around here. Generally friends of mine have found them by word of mouth. I'm in s/west England so couldn't give you any pointers though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now