which towing vehicle?

(5 Posts)
missy111 Sun 15-May-16 12:01:43

We are looking at a new vehicle to tow an Ifor 506, so far seen the Navara, which we like.
Any recommendations?

susiella Sun 15-May-16 13:47:31

I've towed with a Disco, Nissan Terrano, Range Rover, & a Merc ML350.
The Merc & the Terrano were best. You couldn't tell you had anything on the back.
I'm currently looking for another Terrano. Very highly recommended.

Moanranger Sun 15-May-16 20:18:49

Parkersburg (the car web site) has a number of recommendations, for best towing vehicles, including VW Tiguan & Range Rover (as you would expect). I happily towed with a Jeep Cherokee sport but that car died & I am looking to replace it with(possibly) a Yeti. The key metric is braked towing weight. You need to factor in weight of trailer typically 890-1200kg, plus weight of horses & equipment. Realistically you need a braked towing weight of 2400 kg if you intend to tow two competition horses of ca 600+ kg.
If you are towing ponies, or one horse, you can get away with a lower braked towing weight.
I would always get 4x4 due to my numerous experiences of getting a trailer out of a muddy field. I would just put the Jeep into 4 low & we could chug our way out of anything. Unfortunately, Jeeps are expensive to tax due to CO2 emissions, so I am looking at a greener vehicle which will have a lower braked towing weight, but only taking one horse.
It's an expensive business!

missy111 Tue 17-May-16 20:45:08

Well we hopefully pick up the navara this weekend. The garage are just doing a few minor jobs on it, then it's ours!
So excited! Next on my jobs list is to pass my trailer test. I did my HGV so I could drive the horse box, but now we're getting a trailer I need to do another test!!!

Moanranger Tue 17-May-16 22:36:29

Good luck with the trailer test! I am one of these ancient old crones you see driving their fully grown daughters to shows, as I am exempt; apparently, at 70, I will actually have to take the test, but dob't know if I'll still be riding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now