Itchy Shetlands

(9 Posts)
Santajim13 Thu 05-May-16 06:26:38

Hi, I've 2 mini Shetlands one I've had for almost a year the other a few weeks less.during the winter they've both been very itchy rubbing necks, sides, faces and rumps on post and rail fencing, to the point where they've large bald patches.
I've tried looking for lice but it's hard with such dense coats. They are getting vigorous grooming which is pulling out lots of old coat but doesn't seem to help. Ivomec sheep and cattle injection has been suggested by a friend of a friend, but I have no knowledge of this and wondered if anyone can help...is it even safe to give to ponies....

britnay Thu 05-May-16 13:32:57

What does your vet suggest?

Campbell2016 Thu 05-May-16 17:02:49

Could be a number of things. Allergy to Alfalfa, allergy to urine if they are stabled, lice, sweet itch, pinworm. Vet visit would be where I would start.

Biggles398 Thu 05-May-16 19:17:37

Agree with calling the vet. The fact that they're both itching to the point of rubbing themselves bald Could indicate lice. You can't always see lice or mites.
Both are readily treatable, but obviously treatment depends on diagnosis!
As Campbell suggests - there are loads of reasons they could be itching

Santajim13 Thu 05-May-16 20:17:32

I agree a vet visit would be ideal, unfortunately we have had issues with our vet regarding another of our horses and have been trying to join an alternative practise since. As we are out of the distance others are willing to travel this is proving difficult. I realise it could be one of several things but was hoping someone may have recognised having this with one of their ponies and could offer a coarse of action in the mean time

Gabilan Thu 05-May-16 20:42:00

The trouble is itching is a symptom of so many things that it would be impossible to suggest a proper course of action.

As a very short term measure, to give some symptomatic relief, you could get some medicated shampoo. Allergy test them with it and if they're ok just give them a good bath. Or you can get some nice oatmeal and tea tree shampoos - but again patch test first.

Campbell2016 Thu 05-May-16 20:42:10

Chuck them in a box and drive them to an alternative equine vet?!

Santajim13 Thu 05-May-16 21:13:27

Thank you Gabilan, now they have shed most of their thick coats and the forecast for the next few days is nice and warm, I'll test them tomorrow and if alls well bath them ASAP

Gabilan Thu 05-May-16 21:48:28

Well hopefully it will give temporary relief without doing harm. I like campbell's suggestion though. Borrow a trailer if need be and take them to the vet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now