Discarded horse's hoof

(9 Posts)
Tate15 Fri 05-Feb-16 13:20:13

Although I grew up riding, I only recall the farrier paring off small strips of hoof.

On my dog walk today I found this.

There are some Shetland ponies not far but this hoof is much bigger and their hooves are in perfect, tiny condition.

I am concerned some cruelty has taken place.

Tate15 Fri 05-Feb-16 13:21:40

Sorry, it won't let me post pics!

It's the whole hoof.

OurBlanche Fri 05-Feb-16 13:24:35

Doesn't that happen with some diseases/conditions, like laminitis. I think it is called Hoof Slough, they literally slough off the hoof, it can have a few causes, none of which are good.

So maybe not violent cruelty, but there is probably a horse nearby in need of treatment, or in the middle of treatment.

Could you post a notice anywhere, to alert any possible owners?

Tate15 Fri 05-Feb-16 17:46:51

The RSPCA said to phone th council. The council were very nice but cannot get involved unless, wait for it, there was a leg still attached to it!

So I'm stuck with a hoof! It was not on the path on the way there but in the middle of the path on the way home. I've never used that path before as on foot but usually drive to the other side where there are Shetland ponies. It's a bit like Cinderella as this hoof would be far too big for them and all of their hooves are in tip top condition!

I will try and get photos up.

Tate15 Sat 06-Feb-16 10:10:00

Photos.

Tate15 Sat 06-Feb-16 10:10:47

It will only let me upload one.

Palomb Sat 06-Feb-16 10:16:33

Maybe a dogs chew?

Gabilan Sat 06-Feb-16 10:39:21

No blood on it. Tbh I think that came off a dead horse. Grim though.

Tate15 Sat 06-Feb-16 18:02:17

Not a dog chew as I have dogs and the only hooves I've seen to buy are not horses ones!

It hasn't been chewed by any animal, domestic or wild. It looked like it had just fallen or had dropped there as it was not covered in mud or wet from rain.

I've written to a local horse rescue on Facebook who are in the area. They campaign to help tethered horses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now