I hate the Grand National

(24 Posts)
Deborah51 Sat 05-Apr-14 17:12:46

I hate the grand national with a passion, what more can I say..........

susiedaisy Sat 05-Apr-14 17:14:55

Me too
I hate the greed involved in the money side of it. The use of horses for nothing more than money and alcohol consumption just doesn't sit easy with me. hmm

susiedaisy Sat 05-Apr-14 17:26:12

Just read that 22 horses fell this year hmmhmm

Flexiblefriend Sat 05-Apr-14 17:29:59

At least none of them were killed this year though. I always watch it with my heart in my mouth, to see if all the fallers get up.

batteryhen Sat 05-Apr-14 17:31:38

Me too. sad

Deborah51 Sat 05-Apr-14 18:22:57

That's something I suppose, all horses are ok, I was looking at my horse today thinking I couldn't and wouldn't ever put him through anything as hideous as the GN, there's no love involved is there, just pound signs, aagggghhhh.

Littlebigbum Sat 05-Apr-14 19:07:03

yeap aagggghhh.
But I did want to ride in it when I was 7 years old 'ok I didn't know any better'

Deborah51 Sat 05-Apr-14 19:26:35

Lol I was riding a pony called rusty who in my head was red rum, I was about 8 but still couldn't watch the race

batteryhen Sat 05-Apr-14 19:59:20

And I did love national velvet smile

Incapinka Sat 05-Apr-14 20:07:51

I love horses and love racing and probably controversially on this thread I enjoy watching the national too. For those of you who say that people entering their horses in the race don't care for the animal and only see £ signs, i disagree. They will have done everything they can to ensure that their horse is in the best possible form and as prepared as it can be for today. And I can assure you that the trainers, owners and jockeys will be the most pleased out of anyone that all horses were ok. If you don't like the national then definitely don't watch the Czech version...

Deborah51 Sat 05-Apr-14 20:47:58

A famous jockey talking on the radio the other day said the horses are replaceable, don't sound like love to me, beating them with a whip when they are galloping flat out, that's not love, the whole reason the race isn't stopped is purely the amount of money it brings in...

DENMAN03 Sat 05-Apr-14 21:03:21

I love the Grand National and racing in general. 22 horses did not fall. Most were pulled up or unseated. Only 7 horses fell and all walked away fine.

If you don't like it, don't watch it.

batteryhen Sat 05-Apr-14 21:13:09

Only 7? That's ok then. I don't watch it or bet on it. The horses are only looked after abd prepared well etc because they will earn the jockeys; trainers and the punters money. Lets not fool ourselves that the national is about the welfare of the horses. It's not.

Deborah51 Sat 05-Apr-14 21:21:53

I don't like it and don't watch it, never have and never will along with thousands of people who feel the same as me!

Deborah51 Sat 05-Apr-14 21:23:27

Go batteryhen, took the words right out of my mouth.

batteryhen Sat 05-Apr-14 21:34:58

Why were the others pulled up though? Did they go lame? Did the jockeys realise their horse was not fit enough for the course? Even if horses weren't killed, obviously some were still injured?

DENMAN03 Sat 05-Apr-14 22:01:08

Pulled up because they had no chance of winning.

Never watch it. Haven't read this thread.

Wuss.

Mitchy1nge Sat 05-Apr-14 22:43:06

Also hate it when lives are lost, obviously, but can't help wondering what it might be like to ride in it and love watching through my fingers. Was quite disappointed to have missed it today but was busy ambling around on my own horses so the next best thing.

Deborah51 Sat 05-Apr-14 23:21:10

I too was with my horse today, have absolutely no interest in GN, only check in on radio that all horses survived, it's not only GN but plenty of other races where horses lose their lives, what a bloody waste!

Ruby Walsh did not say that horses are replaceable. What he said was that whilst losing a horse was sad and horrible it was not on the same level as losing a family member.

I lost a horse in a field accident, he was galloping around with a mate and ruptured an artery in his groin - it was devastating, I'd had him for 7 years and loved him to bits. I'd just been advised that because of the sarcoid (think cancer) not responding to the two years of treatment it was time to call it a day with him. He had an open wound that wouldn't heal and as summer came it would attract flies/maggots so I'd made up my mind to let him have some spring grass, feel the sun on his back and put him to sleep in the field. I was dreading it, but had the decision made for me when he had his accident. The vet was there in 30 minutes and he was at peace shortly after. I cried for days, and still well up when I think of him, but my dad died when I was 15 and nothing comes close to that.

If you think it's all about the money, look in to point to point racing - first prize is usually £100 which won't even cover diesel or entry fees.

Deborah51 Sun 06-Apr-14 10:17:45

GN IS all about money..

Kormachameleon Sun 06-Apr-14 10:26:54

Meh

i cant get wound up about the racing industry when so many leisure horses have worse lives
kept by unknowledgeable owners, overfed, underworked, locked up for long periods, overweight, unwormed, poor feet and teeth

ponies sold at auction for 5 pounds to the meat man or worse, into neglectful homes

save your ire for the real cruelty in the equine world

Deborah51 Sun 06-Apr-14 14:22:09

Your absolutely right, we've done our share of rescues over the years, as soon as we take them out of the situation other poor souls take their place, still don't like or agree with GN though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now