Fly Sprays/rugs

(14 Posts)

We moved yards in January, I'm not sure if it's the difference in yard, or just the flys are in early/ badly this yea, but they're really bugging her (no pun intended). last summer was spent mainly on box rest so we only used a minimal amount of Naff spray & a little tag on her head collar.

Loads of people use home brewed sprays at our yard, and lots have fly rugs.

Which brands do you find work? And the same with fly rugs?

Littlebigbum Wed 02-Apr-14 12:43:02

Loads of flys this year because of the warm and wet. I use diluted citron oil and buy form these guys www.calmersolutionsltd.co.uk/citronella-101-p.asp
2 drops in an old spray bottle.... Also buy eucalyptus or the hoof 'but don't know why.

Littlebigbum Wed 02-Apr-14 12:47:48

Oh and I want one of those Zebra rugs

Zebra rugs?!?!?!WHERE!!!!! I'm liking the sounds of those!!!!!!! (says the girl who bought her horse a onsie )blush

Googled - found & purchased Zebra fly rug grin

Littlebigbum Wed 02-Apr-14 19:19:17

I know so cool

Pixel Wed 02-Apr-14 19:43:49

They are probably very effective. I read today that new research shows that flies find it difficult to land on a stripey pattern, and scientists now think that might be the reason zebras developed stripes rather than as camouflage.

However they look totally ridiculous and dhorse would never forgive me grin.

Quite tempted by [http://www.robinsonsequestrian.com/shires-horse-face-fly-mask.html?rocket=category-most-popular this]] though lol.

Pixel Wed 02-Apr-14 19:45:39

What did I do?
better?

<sigh>

I saw those in the shop yesterday Pixel & laughed!!!! Dhorse isn't going to have a choice about the zebra print, besides, vertical stripes are slimming right wink

Pixel Wed 02-Apr-14 21:08:26

Actually Gok says horizontal stripes are slimming, not vertical. Do try to keep up grin.

SIGH These things just confuse me! If Gok says it, it must be true! Oh well, its not like she can look any fatter haha

Littlebigbum Thu 03-Apr-14 09:56:39

No I hate the fly mask with eyes. No just wrong

Pixel Thu 03-Apr-14 18:59:13

I'm not actually going to buy one. Dhorse ripped his flymask to bits on brambles last year and I mended it with a pair of dh's old pants (it was the underneath part, dh doesn't wear mesh pants!). It'll be perfectly good for another summer grin. obviously much less embarrassing than freaky eyes

As long as you don't tell Dhorse that he's got pants on his face all will be fine :-D

My Zebra arrived yesterday - it's actually amazing!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now