I've just had the vet out. Horse is now on box rest, and I feel like I've won the lottery!

(6 Posts)
Flexiblefriend Fri 28-Mar-14 12:24:52

I got the vet out yesterday as my horse had a fat leg, which hadn't gone down after a week of box rest and hosing. He took one look at it, and said he was almost certain it was a fractured splint bone. I've spent the last 24 hours being the most grumpy person on the planet, visualising the poor horse stuck in on box rest for the entire summer!

He came back this morning and X-rayed it, no sign of a fracture. He now thinks it is just a bruised bone, so instead of months, I'm now looking at a week or two of box rest, and back to normal! I am soooo relieved. I had to share this somewhere, where hopefully people will understand! I've got my summer back grin

Cirsium Fri 28-Mar-14 12:33:57

Great news, hope it's a sunny summer for you and he takes more care of his legs for the rest of it.

Mitchy1nge Sat 29-Mar-14 10:58:43

I read the title and thought hmm 'people can like it when their horse is on box rest?' but now I understand - phew!

LastingLight Sat 29-Mar-14 12:54:33

Fantastic outcome, so glad for you and horse.

Flexiblefriend Sat 29-Mar-14 13:04:18

Yes it's amazing how the threat of months of it can put a week or two into perspective! The vet seemed so sure, it didn't even occur to me that he might have been wrong. So glad he was though!

Fortysomethingwinelover Sat 29-Mar-14 16:51:24

One of my horses was on box rest for 3 months after having a splint bone removed. It was a NIGHTMARE. It was during June, July and August too. I'm glad it's not a fracture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now