young kids/babies at yard-mortified!!

(16 Posts)
feekerry Fri 21-Mar-14 12:07:50

i have a 2yr old and a 6 week old dc. have had my horse for years. he has been on grass livery whilst i was pg and just moved him to the livery yard section of the farm so i can bring him back into work.
yard v laid back and everyone seemed v nice. mixture of adults and kids.
i have been there a week and usually have the baby with me. i always leave baby in car whilst i turn horse out/bring in and then i bring the buggy into the stable whilst i muck out etc. the only time the buggy is on the yard is when i am walking to/from my car or to feed room.
today the yard owner asked me not to bring the buggy on the yard as a few people had complained about safety.
i am absolutely mortified to think people have complained. its the one thing i have been very conscious of, not to get in anyones way, not be near any horses, keep buggy in stable.
what do others think?

Mitchy1nge Fri 21-Mar-14 12:53:39

have to admit it is horrible to see buggies on yards, the child's face is always in the perfect place for a back hoof to land but as you say, you're not leaving it near actual horses

it's a shame nobody felt able to say anything about it to your face, or better still offer to help practically instead of talking to yard owner about it - so what will you do instead?

feekerry Fri 21-Mar-14 15:34:07

i will have to look at other yards i think as hate to think i have got anyone's back up.
with my first dc at my old yard i always used to park buggy in stable whilst mucking out or outside the school whilst riding. never crossed my mind that folk would have an issue if its in my stable.
hay/water etc is right by stable so buggy stays in there all times and always leave dc in car whilst handling my horse.
my mum also often comes up and takes dc a walk away from yard whilst i get things done so i try keep the dc's away from yard as much as poss.
i chose this yard as it seemed v laid back and child friendly (a fair few young kids there) plus when i looked ar yard took both dc's and buggy with me and yard owner was fine. seems tho other liveries have complained

dopeysheep Fri 21-Mar-14 20:39:19

Are you sure people have complained though? You only have the owner's say so. Maybe she is worried about insurance or something and is a bit wussy about telling you? Blaming others instead?
Perhaps make some enquiries from the other owners first, do it all v openly so no Chinese whispers. Moving seems a bit drastic I hope you get it sorted.

5OBalesofHay Fri 21-Mar-14 22:58:07

They do sound a but young. Maybe go full livery for a while?

feekerry Sat 22-Mar-14 13:06:43

thing is i don't need to go full livery, have loads of help and yards are close so i don't need help with the horse as such its just that at times (not all times, maybe 3-4 days out of 7) one of the dc's will be with me. to be honest i think its good for them to get out in the fresh air.
don't think people have issue with the dc's as such, more the buggy. which to an extent i can understand. but can't see its an issue when its in my stable away from everyone else.
my friend has there own private yard which could be an option for me then i could do what i liked with buggy.....
i am just a bit surprised as at old yard girls used to park buggy by school and ride etc. maybe that's unusual tho

NigellasDealer Sat 22-Mar-14 13:08:40

not sure certainly our old yard had a blanket ban on anything with wheels

snowpo Sat 22-Mar-14 15:09:31

Seems a bit daft to me if you are being sensible and keeping buggy out of the way. Its not like a buggy moves on its own, I can understand bikes, scooters etc

I have been at 3 different yards while my kids were little and no-one ever seemed to have a problem with buggys. The reason I moved from one of them was cos they lost a field and I couldn't push the buggy up the mud track to the new field. But otherwise I have pushed a single or twin buggy to lead my horse to and from field and always left it in a safe spot out of the way when on the yard.

Think they are being a bit precious really. The worst bit is when the kids are a wobbly, run-away uncontrollable toddler. Keeping them safe at that age is more of a challenge!

feekerry Sat 22-Mar-14 15:09:32

maybe i am being unrealistic then with the buggy.
thanks for all your replies. will look at private yard or old yard as options.
x

Flexiblefriend Sun 23-Mar-14 15:34:14

I don't think there is anything wrong with what you have been doing. I can understand why you are mortified, it seems very underhand that they have gone to the yard owner, rather than just speak to you about it. How do you get on with everyone else generally?

Littlebigbum Mon 24-Mar-14 09:37:20

I'm sorry but all yard have a pack of 'bitches' you can't let them effect you.

feekerry Mon 24-Mar-14 12:01:19

well have only been on the livery yard a week but everyone was initially v friendly and knew i had 2 young kids and were v welcoming until they realised i would be bringing the baby with me sometimes.
i am moving back to my old yard in a couple of weeks as most of the girls there have young kids and they certainly don't have an issue with me bringing the baby.
so will just have to put a smile and get on with it till i move.
half the time people haven't even known the buggy was in my stable as its tucked in the corner and baby is sleeping but hey ho obv not the yard for us.

Pixel Mon 24-Mar-14 18:09:32

I wouldn't be surprised if it was just the one person complaining. We've got one like this, she looks for things to cause a fuss about, even if they don't directly affect her.

TangleStash Fri 28-Mar-14 23:41:07

I used a buggy with my DD when she was tiny, (under 6 months tiny) but she always ended up yelling her head off so not ideal. Also I found it was a bit of a spooking hazard, with my mare at least. A friend recommended the Ergo carrier and we have never looked back! She is safe and happy strapped to my back so I can get on with chores and keep her close. (Although I don't pick feet or catch Missy from the field with it on). Best. Invention. Ever.
Also, don't pay full price - you can find ones on Ebay for a fraction of what you get charged on the high street.

Booboostoo Sat 29-Mar-14 10:55:22

Is the buggy ever left unattended in a place where a loose horse would knock it over? That situation would terrify me. I have the horses at home but no one handles the horses unless another adult is available to be with DD. I accept that a loose horse is a rare occurrence but when it does happen things can go very wrong very quickly!

Has the baby been crying a bit? Perhaps this has upset some of the horses and other owners feel they don't want to have to deal with that distraction?

Either way it doesn't seem like the right set up for you so it's best to find somewhere else.

Fortysomethingwinelover Sat 29-Mar-14 17:04:05

I keep my horses at home and have 8 liveries as well as my own. I have very strict rules about children on the yard and buggies aren't allowed. The safety of everyone on the yard is paramount to me. Before we bought our own place I'd been on a few yards and saw on two occasions accidents with kids in buggies. This is the reason my yard is adult only.

There's always someone whining about something to be honest on any yard. I would be looking for a more child friendly yard if I were you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now