First show of the season

(14 Posts)
Butkin Sat 08-Mar-14 18:16:06

Great day thanks MrM - lovely sunny day (17 degrees) helped! She got a spare ride on a 4yo M&M having his first outing and they were 2nd in the Open FR and then went Champion Restricted. She then rode her own SP and won the Open Class. Hopefully this will set the all up for the future. Apparently we may be going to Hereford Marches (yes 3 Counties Showground) after all!

Mrmonkey Sat 08-Mar-14 17:31:05

Isn't Hereford marches held at Malvern? That's my favourite showground but it is a bit of a trek. We are off hunting for one last time tomorrow with the drag hounds then that's another season over :-(
Hope you had a good day at area 14 Butkin, my aim tonight is to get a load of entries done!

Butkin Fri 07-Mar-14 10:17:22

Yes that's right. We're in Indoor Ring No 2. Never been before..

Pixel Thu 06-Mar-14 23:27:00

Is that Royal Leisure? Henfield is just up the road from me smile.

Butkin Thu 06-Mar-14 21:13:26

Yes SP qualified for RI 2012 by winning at Hereford Marches so that show is always on our radar but is 160 miles from us... At least Henfield is close for the pony even if it's 134 miles from here!

Hungermonkey - sounds like you're in for a fun year - let us know how you get on!

Hungermonkey Thu 06-Mar-14 13:53:44

We are mourning the end of the hunt season and welcoming the start of the show!

We have local riding club sj and wh , ODE, hunter trials and pony camps. New pony to take out,old pony to wind down as he gets older and last yeras newly backed to gain more experience - going to be a great ear I feel!

Nothing wrong with Hereford Marches Butkin......my neck of the woods! (Even though you're right, it's a long way away.)

Butkin Wed 05-Mar-14 22:20:40

Yes 14- never been to Henfield before but looking forward to it. Will do the Mixed Height open, rather than Novice, as SP goes better when not in snaffle and DD needs practise with double reins again. She's a Novice in name only anyway.

We didn't get to Addington or Norton Heath. Everybody else seemed to be going but us. We just didn't need to rush out - still plenty of time in what should hopefully be a long season.

Yes we'll be doing RIs after this - probably PUK as I don't fancy trekking to Hereford Marches!

We've also got a new pony to get to grips with. We've just bought DD a 13 hand SHP for her 11th birthday last week. Only just broken in - DD has only sat on him once - and he's special so won't be rushing him. Hopefully aim him at the Novice at BSPS Summer Champs and really a pony for 2015..

Team chasing will be fast and fun - hope you've been doing plenty of hunting for practise!

Mrmonkey Wed 05-Mar-14 20:06:56

Oh and frosty fingers team chasing is fab!! If you get the chance watch an open class it's amazing - even watching it gives me a thrill so no idea what it would be like to do one!

Mrmonkey Wed 05-Mar-14 20:05:36

Good luck Butkin is it bsps area 14 you are off to? We have already done Bsps 7 and 15 but have nothing now till our first Ri of the season at Puk winters (if dpony can stay sound!)

Not showing but I'm being encouraged to consider novice team chasing.... Really not sure but DH is keen mainly because he senses a good photo opportunity! Not sure that's a good enough reason tbh! Good luck Butkin

Butkin Wed 05-Mar-14 10:29:29

That's a shame about Blaston - usually old fashioned country shows like that concentrate on working hunter - particularly in the heart of hunting country! I don't think we'd have your patience to wait until June. We've already packed our diaries for the next few months!

Mirage Tue 04-Mar-14 18:38:00

Best of Luck Butkin. We aren't planning on any shows until June,but are thinking of joining a local riding club and enter some SJ classes.We are giving Blaston,which is usually our first show,a miss this year,despite dpony winning First Ridden with DD1 last year,they both want to try working hunter this year,and Blaston don't do that.

Butkin Tue 04-Mar-14 15:54:11

Well it certainly seems like Spring! I'll even be leaving work in the light this evening.. I know lots of people have been out already but we've not been in a rush. SP went back to our producers only 10 days ago and now we're off to our first show of the season on Saturday in Sussex. Just looked it up on AA route planner and it's 135 miles each way (gulp!) but really looking forward to the outing and it won't be a crack of dawn start for us.

Hopefully it'll set her - and more importantly DD - up for her first RI qualifiers soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now