Thoughts on brushing boots.

(4 Posts)
Muddiboots Fri 28-Feb-14 11:40:07

we use the premiere equine sports medicine boots for mounted games, horses tolerate them really well, they seem very comfotable for them, stand up well tomud and sand and are easy to chuck in the washing machine (or even stick in a bucket of cold water when away).
take a good hammering and have never outworn a pair!

1muddymummy Fri 28-Feb-14 07:42:25

im the total opposite, I hate the trizone boots they rubbed my horses quite badly. I like the premier equine airflow and use these for the one that needs boots for turnout. I think eventers sometimes tubigrip under boots to prevent rubs, that might help?

RatherBeRiding Wed 26-Feb-14 20:49:28

I have the equilibrium trizone boots that get used for absolutely everything. Love them. Tough, lightweight, don't heat the tendon and have never picked up anything abrasive

Dhorse has had a fairly busy season hunting and come through reasonably well. He does however have a number of lumps, bumps and scratches on both his hind legs - his action behind is close and he's obviously knocked into himself a few times, as well as picked up scratches and cuts along the way. His front legs are fine.

Generally I'm not in favour of brushing boots due to a fear of things getting trapped between the leg and the boot and the mud being rubbed in, however I have to weigh up those fears against the damage he's done. I feel lucky that it's nothing more serious at the moment, and it's only a question of time before he wallops himself hard enough to really hurt himself. He's gone out today covered in a combination of purple spray (well blue really) and sudocrem. He raced in boots, but that's obviously no comparison.

So do you have any recommendations - I've looked at increased airflow types, but do they really work and is it worth it or should I just keep my fingers crossed next season? I did wonder about eventing grease but the thought of getting that on and off each time doesn't really appeal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now