My ponies are amazing - ponies that live out 24/7

(7 Posts)
craggyhollow Wed 12-Feb-14 09:23:24

We have no stable so our two live out permanently. We are lucky enough to have two fields so one is resting now after being turned into the Somme. They are rugged and get extra feeds twice a day.

They look a bit woolly and wild but despite not being ridden all week they both jumped clear at a SJ comp at the weekend and in fact the little one won her class.

I only mention it because they are really living in appalling conditions, if I could make things better for them I would sad. Its amazing what they can put up with and stay cheerful!

dopeysheep Thu 13-Feb-14 18:49:58

Yay ponies!! Mine is the same, he has great rugs I inherited with him, plenty of hay and food and seems happy as Larry. He does have a stable but it is v leaky at the moment and I worry it will blow down so out he goes.
He is a sturdy native I love him grin

Mirage Thu 13-Feb-14 20:12:37

Ponies are great!

Ours are hairy unclipped natives,who both live out,and have only been ridden once or twice a week this winter.We took them to a rally 2 weeks ago and both were brilliant,despite not having done anything faster than a trot for the past 8 weeks.We have no school and the fields are too wet to ride in,so all we do is hack.There is nowhere for them to stable as everywhere is full of sheep,and dpony won't tolerate being in anyway,so they are both happier out.

Incapinka Fri 14-Feb-14 20:35:07

My thoroughbred is out in this. He is doing pretty well and resembling a very large pony but I am feeling a bit guilty tonight. It is horrendous out there!

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Tue 18-Feb-14 14:14:50

Trad shetland, shetland x and 2 Welsh As here. They've survived the entire winter on the grass in their paddocks. None are skinny and the trad shetland is more than happy to turn out now and again and take a little person for a Pootle about.
In the last week because of the shitty weather they have had a rug on apiece and some straw to chew over.
Ponies ARE amazing. People forget that they are designed by nature to live like this. Go take a look at the shetland Islands' website. It's bleak! Research the Welsh Mountains. These animals are supposed to live on fresh air. Its why so many pampered pets end up obese and laminitic.
And it's quite natural, if they were looking a little slim, because come spring, they're going to need somewhere to stow all of the spring grass.

Hobnobissupersweet Tue 18-Feb-14 21:57:22

My full TB and her companion Shetland have both been living out all winter on vets orders (rider fed up of scraping mud off!). The TB does have a decent rug, and they are sting haylage like it is going out of fashion but
I took her sj this weekend and she jumped 4 clear rounds, and ver delighted with her wind grin

Hobnobissupersweet Tue 18-Feb-14 21:58:48

Tsk sting = eating! ver =vet
Bloody autocorrect

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now